• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myth's Anime Thread

Mythopoet

Auror
I wouldn't say Noragami is really a romance story at all. There are hints of emotions that could turn into romance, but nothing more. It's much more a supernatural action show.

Did you also watch Clannad After Story? And if so, did you enjoy it? Also, do you care if the story is unfinished in the anime? (Such as is very common with anime based on a manga.)

Tentatively, since it's really hard to tell what you might like, I would recommend:

Ah! My Goddess
Beyond the Boundary
Blast of Tempest
Chobits
Princess Tutu
Spice and Wolf
Steins;Gate
Romeo x Juliet
Yona of the Dawn
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I wouldn't say Noragami is really a romance story at all. There are hints of emotions that could turn into romance, but nothing more. It's much more a supernatural action show.

I wouldn't say you're wrong, but Funimation lists it under romance, and I still think of it one, even if it's not too overt. But it's definitely fair to consider it otherwise. ((edit)) Scratch that, I checked to see if I was missing any shows, and Funimation does not list Noragami as romance. Maybe it was de-listed, but more likely I'm just wrong. Whatever, it's still pretty good.

Ah! My Goddess
Beyond the Boundary
Blast of Tempest
Chobits
Princess Tutu
Spice and Wolf
Steins;Gate
Romeo x Juliet
Yona of the Dawn
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Of these, I've only seen Yona of the Dawn, which is top-notch. Yona's growth as a character is steep.

I would also add: WorldEnd: What are you doing at the end of the world? A fairy child in a kingdom of floating islands falls in love with the last human. There aren't many episodes though.

Also, there's Gamers!. It's not fantasy. It's a RomCom about people who play video games. All of the characters have fallen hard for their match, but they're in so much denial that the other one really feels the same way. I highly recommend it. Again, there aren't many episodes.

MythPoet: Yes; Clannad and Clannad After Story are my favourite anime. Unfinished? It didn't seem that way to me. I was perfectly satisfied with the ending. The anime is actually based on a Visual Novel, which I have played.

I've tried out Spice and Wolf, but didn't get into it, and I have the Chobits manga. I tried out Yona of the Dawn, so I might go back to it again soon. I've heard of Princess Tutu, but I've also heard that it gets really dark.

Mythopoet

Auror
MythPoet: Yes; Clannad and Clannad After Story are my favourite anime. Unfinished? It didn't seem that way to me. I was perfectly satisfied with the ending. The anime is actually based on a Visual Novel, which I have played.

I've tried out Spice and Wolf, but didn't get into it, and I have the Chobits manga. I tried out Yona of the Dawn, so I might go back to it again soon. I've heard of Princess Tutu, but I've also heard that it gets really dark.

Sorry, the question about unfinished series wasn't related to Clannad. Just a general question since there are a ton of anime based on romance manga that only get a season or two if lucky and then you have to go read the manga if you want to know the ending.

I didn't get into Spice and Wolf the first time I tried it either. It's one of those anime that needs a few episodes to get going. Princess Tutu does get a bit dark, or at least more deep. It's a beautiful series. And you had some darker series on your list so I wasn't sure what kind of mood you were looking for in your anime.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I experienced that with the Claymore anime. The manga was so much better.

I'll experiment and see which series suits me. After writing a very dark novel for Nano, I've been kind of in the mood for something light-hearted.

glutton

Inkling
One of my favorite characters from recent years in anime (and all of fiction):

DBG-HR5UMAA9Ng7.jpg:large

So kawaii, smol and bae! How could anything be more charming than a tiny pigtailed destroyer XD

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm watching shows from the Spring 2018 season right now.

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku- super funny workplace romance comedy about the relationships between 2 sets of otaku.
Hinamatsuri- a show that really defies you to sum it up. It has girls with psychic powers, a group of homeless men, a middle school age girl bartender, a group of Yakuza who are kind of inept, and lots of comedy and heart.
Kakyurio Bed and Breakfast for Spirits- human girl tries to open a restaurant for spirits in the spirit world.
Comic Girls- comedy about high school girls living in a dorm and drawing manga
Persona 5- adaptation of the game
Steins;Gate 0- spin off of the original set in a different timeline

I recommend watching the Persona 3 movies and the Persona 4 anime, too, then. There's plenty of stylish action there. [Though I watch it because I like the characters.]

Mythopoet

Auror
So of the 6 shows from the Spring season I mentioned above, 3 of them (Hinamatsuri, Wotakoi and Comic Girls) have finished and were all extremely enjoyable from start to finish. The other 3 (Kakyurio, Persona 5 and Steins;Gate 0) are continuing into the Summer season and I'll be sticking with them.

Summer season doesn't appear too exciting for me as far as new shows go. The biggest hype is of course about Attack on Titan season 3, but I haven't actually watched season 2 yet so I won't be watching it. I want to watch them both at some point, but I don't feel rushed about it since I've already read the manga.

I have a list of other new shows to try, but nothing I'm really excited by except Cells at Work. A show about "the story of you", or rather the anthropomorphized cells inside you. I showed my kids the trailer yesterday and my youngest got really excited and says, "there are people working in my body who speak Japanese!" We'll be watching that one as a family.

I've been watching My Hero Academia on Hulu, and I love it!

I have a particular love of large casts, also a love of the school/training motif, so it fits in that genre.

I'm reminded (as often happens) that anime has some great writing. Well, it may seem facile to others, I don't know, but the choices made for the personalities and interactions of these characters, as well as the structuring of some episodes, point toward great writing in my opinion. I'm only midway through the second season, so we'll see if it holds my interest as much as it already has.