• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need a simple test for magic ability.

Hi,

I like Devor's idea. You don't want to test for magic you want to test for control. My thought would be to do it a little more methodically - something like this:

First element of controlling anything is being able to see it / feel it, so shove them in a room with half a dozen objects, half of them magical half of them not, and get them to pick out the ones that are. Then at least you know they've got the affinity.

Then the control itself, first the instinctive / natural control. Challenge them. No bucket of water but maybe a magical push. If someone pushes you, you resist. If someone pushes you magically you resist magically. So a gentle push, a slightly hot blast of air, etc. See if they resist and how they resist. A lack of control could mean that either they don't react / respond, or that they respond innappropriately, i.e. too much force etc or the wrong type of magic.

If they pass that, then the active control, move the pebble, light a candle etc. They could still have good instincts by the way and resist magical energies and yet be unable to actively use their magic.

Cheers, Greg.

DTowne

Minstrel
Have you read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy?

I don't remember the exact details but the character Lyra had to prove who she was by picking a specific leaf off a wall that looked identical to all others. The cloudpine (something like a witches broom) once belonged to the witch Serafina Pekkala.

Something along those lines would work. It proved her natural instinct through use of a magic object.

Have you read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy?

I don't remember the exact details but the character Lyra had to prove who she was by picking a specific leaf off a wall that looked identical to all others. The cloudpine (something like a witches broom) once belonged to the witch Serafina Pekkala.

Something along those lines would work. It proved her natural instinct through use of a magic object.

I don't quite remember that scene, though it's been a couple of years since I read those books. Anyway, I kinda like the sound of that, though it sounds more like a sensing type test. (Basically all magic users in this setting can sense Rí, not just the magicians.)

Currently considering using some kind of Zener card type test, except using tarot cards. Still not 100% decided, though. Will have to sleep on it.

D

Deleted member 2173

Why not have some sort of teacher or official that can simply sense what potential rests in the MC? The level of the tester's honesty about the power the MC holds might make for an interesting subplot. Why would someone underplay what they know to be of great potential? Or what is the consequence of the tester sharing the huge potential?

Why not have some sort of teacher or official that can simply sense what potential rests in the MC? The level of the tester's honesty about the power the MC holds might make for an interesting subplot. Why would someone underplay what they know to be of great potential? Or what is the consequence of the tester sharing the huge potential?

Well, see, sensing the strenght of someone's rí is easy - anyone with any kind of magical power can do that, even people who aren't real magicians. But that's kinda like seeing that a person is tall; it doesn't tell you anything about his talent for basketball.

Rob P

Minstrel
There's a basic concept of magic that accepts every rock, plant, animal and person has energy within them and the use of magic is tapping into that energy, using it, controlling it, changing it to produce an outcome. This ri is energy and therefore the basic principle must be able to discern that energy. The next is channelling.

First test. Three covered buckets of water. One has a egg. Pick the right bucket.
Second test. Break the egg with only your mind.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
a Magical compass, you tell your MC to concentrate on a certain object in front of her, if the compass (between her and the object) aligns itself to point that object then she is capable of focusing her magic

Addison

Auror
It sounds like magic in your world isn't secret like Harry Potter. First of all, are all magicians the same with their magic? Can they all do the same spells or are there some who can only do fire, enchantments or something else? That said I have two ideas that can work, one of which is tweaked from my own WIP.

1.) Two stone discs on a table, one for each hand. She puts her hand on each slab and they change colors and designs to tell the magicians if she's magic and what kind. The stones read the heart, spirits, body, mind, each places where magic grows. So they'll change colors and such even if she doesn't have the magic gift.

2.) A stone archway in the middle of a wall made of stained glass images and carved stone. It's filled with an opaque force, like a bubble. All she has to do is walk through it (it's thick), with her eyes shut and holding her breath which will be difficult as the substance could send chills or such which tempt her to breathe. When she's on the other side the arch way is no longer opaque, it's now filled with stained glass and stone carving. What it depicts to the magicians tells them of her gift, or lack thereof, and herself.

Hope these were helpful.

Queshire

Auror
How about you have this type of oil or liquid that's very reactive to magical energy. You could have a thermometer type thingie filled with it. The test would be holding on to that and trying to get the liquid to a certain point, not too high, not too low. So your main character might end up putting way too much energy in it by accident and cause it to explode.

SMAndy85

Minstrel
I kind of like the crystal idea, but with a tweak.

So, this crystal reacts to magical power. Those with the Potential make it glow. More potential = more glowing. It glows in a specific colour to begin with. To test control, you ask them to choose a different colour, and try to focus it into the crystal. The more it changes, the more control they have. The crystal is specifically enchanted to make this test possible, so it's not necessarily a crystal, but a glass ball, or anything else like that. You'd need it to glow completely different colours, so it's obvious. like Red to Blue. It doesn't turn purple when it's half way, but instead half the crystal turns blue, and half stays red. You'd get a fine line, and have a distinct fraction of the crystal that changes, representing their level of control.

Is this control something that can be taught in your world? or is level of control the fixed thing based on the person, and the potential is something you train? Having some more information about that might help us come up with ideas.

shangrila

Inkling
A magical litmus test seems the simplest. People above have suggested similar but even a piece of paper could suffice; they push their magic into it and turn it into a certain colour. If they can make it that colour, they pass. If not, they fail.

That also opens you up for further possibilities regarding their power.