• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A good page to improve US-English skills?

I don’t know how your skills are, but my—and other users say this, too.— skills aren’t so brilliant. So, I hope you know a hell-damn good page where I can improve my English skill?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm not sure about websites dedicated to English improvement training, but I've got four pieces of advice.
1. Read books in English, and lots of them. Get a subscription to Kindle Unlimited so you can download and read books for free for a monthly fee.
2. Watch English movies without subtitles and without dubbing. That way you'll be forced to listen more closely to what the characters are talking about.
3. Give it time. Becoming fluent in a second language is not an easy process and it won't happen overnight. It's going to take years.
4. If you have the option. Travel abroad to an English speaking country, maybe to study for a year, or to work as an au pair, or do customer support, or something like that.

Ireland is great for CS and if you dig around a bit you can probably find some company (Apple, Siemens, Amazon, PayPal) who need support staff fluent in German.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
The British Council runs English language courses online that are free. Of course, that will be UK English rather than American English.
Talking to native speakers is great.
I'm trying to learn French and I've downloaded an app that prompts me to learn and remember a few words or phrases every day. It's only a few minutes a day but it is helping me get the basics. It has already let me surprise [for about 5 seconds] a coworker who is a native French speaker.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
To add to what I mentioned above, I've got a colleague who's using duolingo to learn French. I checked the website, and they've got an option for learning American English as well: Learn a language for free
It may be worth checking out.

World Anvil

Acolyte
Have you tried Duolingo ? It might be a bit basic at first but it will definitely help you improve in the long run