• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recommend Me Some Movies! :D

Tera-lon

Dreamer
Here are some that might fit your movie likes

Dragonheart
How to train your dragon
The Count of Monte Cristo
Braveheart

Klee Shay

Troubadour
For myself I like the following:

FANTASY - Dragonslayer

SCI-FI - Tron, The Thing (John Carpenter's remake - not the James Arness in a carrot suit original), Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still (original), War of the Worlds (original), Short Circuit (both), Innerspace

COMEDY - From the Hip, Three Amigos, The Jerk

I'll add others if I think of them.

Oh, yeah. In the JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT Category - The Sting

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Fantasy: Excalibur, Clash of the Titans(original), Dragonheart, Willow, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Pathfinder

Sci-Fi: Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Ice Pirates, Cherry 2000, RoboCop, Leviathan, Deep Blue Sea

soulless

Troubadour
Fantasy: Excalibur, Clash of the Titans(original), Dragonheart, Willow, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Pathfinder

Sci-Fi: Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Ice Pirates, Cherry 2000, RoboCop, Leviathan, Deep Blue Sea

mmm i love Labyrinth.

how about some Jason and the Argonauts (original as well of course), and Black Death with Sean Bean was pretty good though not fantasy so much as just historical really.
dare i mix the two and suggest Krull? :)

Last edited:

drkpyn

Scribe
Most of my favorites have been mentioned, but to really drive it home Master and Commander, The Fifth Element, Robocop, Willow, and The Dark Crystal.

Three that I don't think were mentioned:
Lethal Weapon - Best cop buddy movie ever.
Hot Fuzz - A hilarious parody of the cop buddy genre
Surf Ninjas - A cheesy 90's ninja movie for kids, yet I still crack up every time I watch it. My DVD is nearly worn out because a requirement for being my friend is watching this movie.

Drakhov

Minstrel
Equillibrium - Dystopian Sci Fi with Christian Bale - fight scenes amazing

Sin City - directed by Frank Miller and based on his comics (he also did 300 which you have already listed).

From your original 'wishlist' i'd say 300 and SuckerPunch definately, as well as Sherlock Holmes (both, though i liked the first better) - wasn't at all impressed with Sky Captain

For 'Historical' drama i would add The Patriot (Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger) to the ones already mentioned such as Gladiator, Master & Commander, Braveheart and Kingdom of Heaven. I'd also recommend A Knights Tale (Heath Ledger, Paul Bethany- light hearted 'historical' thingummy) and The Last of the Mohicans (Daniel Day Lewis).

Edit - just noticed you already own The Patriot (and The Last Samurai - i'd forgotten that one!)

Last edited:
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is an amazing movie I just found on Netflix. Its like a typical horror movie in reverse, where the hillbillys in the woods are being harassed by the group of college kids.

Klee Shay

Troubadour
Oh yeah, The whole 'Tremors' franchise - good, campy fun.

And 'Dark Star' - Made by John Carpenter (The Thing, Starman) and Dan O'Bannon (Alien) on a $50,000 budget while they were still in college. Gotta love petulant, planet-destroying bombs. And Dan O'Bannon as the Sgt. Pinback who isn't really Sgt. Pinback.

Last edited:
Some great movies that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Seven Samurai-despite being from the 1950s, Kirosawa’s masterpiece holds up incredibly well and paved the way for “men on a mission” type films. You can also see 13 Assassins for an updated and more violent take on the film, or Iron Clad (which is set in medieval Europe instead of feudal Japan)

Stardust- akin to The Princess Bride, a lighthearted fantasy adventure, both comedic and romantic

Solomon Kane- One of the best “Sword & sorcery” fantasy films I’ve seen in years. Unfortunately it still hasn’t been released in North America but you can find region free dvd and blu ray copies for it on the web.

Black death- a loosely historical drama centered around witchcraft and the plague

Brotherhood of the Wolf- kind of like the Brothers Grimm, only set in France and featuring werewolfs and the occult

As far as sci-fi: Event Horizon- space sci-fi & psychological horror

La Jetee-a short post-apocalyptic time-travel tale, and the inspiration behind the film 12 monkeys

Dark City- a mix of fantasy, sci-fi and film noir

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Some from my collection that haven't been mentioned yet:

The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Snatch
Office Space
Band of Brothers (a series)
Yojimbo (Japanese B/W)
Sanjuro (Japanese B/W)
Watchmen

Plus one that I wish I could find:

Traumschiff Surprise - Periode 1 (German)

@Unwitty, Seven Samurai was great! Stardust, too. Why did I not buy that one?

Last edited: