• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Diablo III

Fantine

I have tried to get into D3 but it hasn't been as great As I expected. Not too similiar to WoW at all really other than the generic RPG elements, Diablo is more like a Balders Gate(best comparison i can think of). I havent read to much on D3 yet, but im hoping they allow more character customization and maybe a different aspect to multiplayer, etc.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I played one character to level 60 then realized I was having less and less fun. I was a huge D2 fan, and to me D3 is a pale comparison. Other than graphics D3 is an inferior game. I actually went back and played D2 just to see if I was imagining things but I wasn't.

When you reach inferno, D3 gets unfair and unfun. With next to zero useful item drops, I've given up on the game. The whole point of the game is to find awesome gear, but that rarely happens. Time spent to reward ratio is screwed up. There's a youtube video showing some guy identifying 1000 rare items in a row and he found only one half decent item. I played through the game three times and I found only two legendary items and zero set items. In comparison D2 drops tons.

The whole game is geared towards pushing the player to spend real money on their auction house in order to equip their characters and I refuse to do that.

hyluvian

Dreamer
I've never played any of the D series, although I have looked at D2 a couple of times. From everything I've been able to find through research, however, D2 was received with nearly as much criticism as D3 until the expansion came out - at which point D2 became that game that everyone remembers so fondly.

Perhaps we will be seeing something similar this time around where once Blizzard puts the first expansion into D3 you'll start to get those game-changing fixes that everyone is looking for.

Either way, I'm uncertain if I'll ever pick up any of the Diablo games - I've played Torchlight and while it's fun, the ARPG just doesn't speak to me.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I found only two legendary items and zero set items.
You nailed the problem (and why I don't feel too bad about not bothering with Lv.60/Inferno).

In D2, my Amazon had a full set of Angel Armor in Normal. In Nightmare, total strangers LOL'd at me for my low-level set, but Robo_Barbie never died (in a multiplayer game)! She was often the sole survivor, and... well... the set bonus did help, along with the unique (legendary) javelins.

I like the character leveling in D3. I wouldn't say there are NO improvements. But Inferno was a bad move, and the Paragon levels sounds as bad a move as Synergy in the way that it compounds an existing problem that it's supposed to be fixing.

I also agree that harder difficulties become less fun in part because you rely too much on gear. I only did well compared to a friend of mine because of the vitality items I was wearing. (I had 30k health while he had 5k--and we were only 2 levels apart!) I actually would have preferred gear making less of a difference (like in Monster Hunter), but I guess if players are paying real money for items, that's why they went in that direction.

Sad to see that gaming is going down this road, if I'm right about that.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Sad to see that gaming is going down this road, if I'm right about that.

Yes it is sad, but the thing is, from what I've been hearing floating around the net, (Take that for what it's worth) is that even though D3 was a smashing success in terms of initial sales, it's a dying game as people leave to play other games. They're not sticking around for 10 years like D2. Blizzard was hoping to cash in on the real money auction house, getting a percentage of each transaction, but that IMHO has backfired and given not only the franchise a black eye but also the company.

It'll be interesting to see how well Blizzard's next game sells because they have a legion of pissed off fans. The fans aren't just pissed off at the game but at the lead designers, and it's not just because they made a mistake. It's their arrogance that shines them off. The designers said stuff to the effect that the people who played D2 didn't have fun. They only remembered they did. Which is basically saying the fans don't know what is fun. We, Blizzard, know what's fun. You should be having fun with D3. Now shut up.

I'm going to stop now before inflict any more ranting pain.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Meh... rant on. I honestly think D2 became less fun as the game was tweaked in inexplicable ways that made bosses take forever to kill and skills impossible to max out (synergy-wise), but it was very fun when the ex pack came out and remained fun for a long time.

D3 actually did some things better, like leveling (I hated picking stat bonuses) but now they managed to screw that up (paragon?!). I also thought the first boss was cool. I thought, YAY, it's not just "stand there and beat on him." I had to use leap attacks as dodges to survive boss #2. Then the third was, well... "stand there and beat on him," and I thought there was something familiar about Diablo's terror dimension.

(Just watch the first 25 seconds.)

Blizzard was hoping to cash in on the real money auction house, getting a percentage of each transaction, but that IMHO has backfired and given not only the franchise a black eye but also the company.
As well it should. Using real money to buy virtual power disgusts me. It's up there with DLC in terms of being a greedy business model. I'd rather go back to feeding quarters to a machine than pay to play at home.

Well, it's safe to say that if D3 has an expansion pack, I won't bother.

ALB2012

Maester
I dip in and out. I find since I hurt my back I can't sit and play pc games for long. I am back into playing Dragon Age Origins again. My old PC went to silicon heaven and took all my save games so I am back to the start fro everything. I may restart Skyrim as well but again it is limited for me,

I don't mind diablo but it is not quite as good as I was expecting.

abydos6

Dreamer
I've always been a fan of Diablo, I play on the ps3, and computer. I am annoyed that I can't play the first two on my computer.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, this is a fairly old one. 2012? Wow, can diablo be that long ago? I think that was one of the last real PC games I played. I liked Diablo, but I also agree with the criticisms it got at the time, kind of click and gather click and gather. I guess kind of liked that it was a bit mindless. I also enjoyed a bit of the backstory. But, I suspect its been way evolved upon now. 2012...how can that be?

PS: I thought first 2 were for computer. That's how I played them, course, that would probably on windows 95 or 98.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Diablo II does run on modern PCs. As I recall there was a patch for it not that long ago with some system updates.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Yup, 3 does, but 1 and 2 don't.
I think your information may be out of date, or it's been too long since you tried last. D2 had support for Windows 10 added in patch 1.14a back in 2016.

Admittedly I haven't tried it myself. I hurt my shoulder a few years back and now whenever I play anything like Diablo for more than a few days it the pain comes back.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Diablo is kind of old news now. I enjoyed that is was rather simple play, but it really was not a game the required a lot of thought to play. I liked the story. I thought the story between the angels and demon's and the wizards was pretty cool. And I liked that they used the corrupted souls of the heroes from the first game as the villains in the second. I am not sure I got the same feel from the third game, but I recall that I played it through more than once. I even had a partner at the time, (miss you Anna!) who I played with online for a short while. But, I moved on. If a new one came out, I would probably get it. But three last three games I purchased I never actually played. I was doing the Dead Space series when I kind of wandered away from the PC.

abydos6

Dreamer
Well, I always was and am a fan, its on the playstation as well and fun when I can play with my wife. Not many decent 'vent frustrations on monsters' games are 2 player. But each to their own.