• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Going from self-pub/web serials to professional publishing.

I started out self-publishing, and when I turned out to not be any good at that I turned to publishing my stories as free to read webserials, where I saw some moderate success. Now I want to get traditionally published. What kind of hurdles can I expect? Is it even worth trying?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Of course its worth trying...nothing ever happened for those who did not try.

Where to find success? Well, isn't that the question? I think, for myself, and if these are along the lines of short stories, I would look for some pay for webzines and see if I could get a few acceptances. A place like www.ralan.com can give you some places to submit, or you can find some targets you like.

What type of stuff are you trying to get published?

pmmg, I write fantasy novels, usually YA fantasy given my default writing style, and I post a new chapter every week until the book is finished. My website is BolanderBooks (apparently I'm not allowed to post links) if you want a better idea of what I do. I can't really do anything with those books, though, because 1. they're already self-published and publishers won't touch those, and 2. they all go waaay over the typical YA book wordcount. So I'll have to write something entirely new to send to an agent or publisher if I want to be considered. I just don't know if they'll even consider me. The whole reason I quit self-publishing and went to webserials is because I couldn't sell a glass of water to a man dying of thirst, lol