• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What’s your favorite era?

If I want to do a straight high fantasy, I feel very inclined to write the story in a typical european medival age a la Lord of the Rings. Its classic status makes those types of stories very satisfying. It’s very hard to write though because how tired out it is. On the other hand, fantasy with more interesting settings can give me loads of ideas buy are very unsatisfying to write.

So now I don’t hung up on genres, which has led to most of my stories taking place in present day. I think the familiarity with this world and this time makes things easier, but also I enjoy writing modern dialogue.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Eras are history, and I'm writing fantasy. For me, taking out electricity, and applying my own rules to gunpowder, I prefer the bigger late-period higher levels of tech. "Nobody's discovered that yet" doesn't interest me as a rule. But once you start applying the fantasy elements, it doesn't fit much into a real world era anymore.

I'm not usually one for picking favorites, but for a real-world story I would definitely go with the present, as I love superheroes.

I took the original poster's question to be a general question rather than a question about what era we like to read or write about in fantasy. I'm not particularly fussed when it comes to era when it's fantasy as long as the world building is done well. I'm rather bored with anything set in feudal or pseudo-medieval times (or to be more accurate the Dark Ages) so I try to avoid stories that seem to be too heavily inspired by Tolkien, Martin or Dungeons & Dragons.

When I began my work in progress I took two radically different eras - the last Ice Age and the 1930s - and merged them together. The former because I liked the challenge of working with animals that were both familiar and exotic and because the geography, climate and flora were quite different back then. Having a world with the technology, politics and society that is 1930s-ish meant I didn't need to do a lot of research as I have been studying this time period for decades already. It really is a case of writing what I know.

I love all history honestly, but my favorites are Ancient Rome and anything pirate or viking. I also really love the 1900s and am completely fascinated with spies and the cold war.
I love time travel and just the idea of someone showing up in a time when they shouldn't exist and all the chaos that ensue.
(Then again I am a timelord so I'm contractually obligate to love time travel)