• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating less modern-sounding occupation names for dragon jobs

rktho

Troubadour
Dragon blacksmith— cool.
Dragon inquisitor— badawesome.
Dragon detective— hm...
Dragon Tracker— that’s better. (Although it should be just Tracker, as it implies a human who tracks dragons rather than a dragon who tracks dragons.)

My book is about dragons who live in a society. They have a police system and I need cooler, more fantasy-appropriate names for police occupants. Even the name police could be changed. What should police officers be called instead of police officers?

Also, there’s a special division of the police not unlike the FBI and I need a cool name for it and for its agents. Since the head of this organization is called the Inquisitor, the Inquisition could work, but I want a couple more options.

Also, I need a different name for the (police) force.

Butterfly

Auror
I've had the same issue with my own WIP, albeit not for any sort of dragonkind Police force, but I did build a medieval style police force. I had to do a bit of research for this. In summary...

What should police officers be called instead of police officers?

Depends on which part of the world and era you want to look at for inspiration. Most police forces are a quasi-military style hierarchy, which will differ between say the UK hierarchy and various USA hierarchies in the range of ranks and the job titles, e.g Superintendant in the UK and Lieutenant in the USA. You can find hierarchy lists online, and maybe you will find something that fits what you are looking for.

I looked at Police Hierarchies, and military hierarchies, as well as the historical equivalent for the titles, such as Cornet and Ensign... which are no longer in use as military ranks and were replaced by Second Lieutenant.

I ended up with a mixture of no longer used ranks, army ranks, police ranks, and was based on a version of the hierarchy that actually exists today but with less levels. So far, it seems to fit what I need and makes sense, even if I'm not entirely satisfied with it but it will do for now.

Back to your question...
What should police officers be called instead of police officers?

Some that come to straight mind are Constables, Watchmen, Patrolmen, Enforcers, Enforcement Officers, Wardens... or if you want, you could replace the 'human element' with a 'dragon element', eg, (...gon) - Patrolgon, Watchgon.

Also, I need a different name for the (police) force.

The Constabulary (from Constables)
The Enforcers
or even something like...
Garda (The Irish Police).

Depends on the titling you go for.

Last edited:

rktho

Troubadour
Just a question unrelated to the topic:

Have you thought about the impact dragons breathing fire might have on the fire brigade and arson laws, since your setting already has police?
I have, as a matter of fact! I totally forgot! When I was planning what a dragon city would look like, I mentioned the town square would have a giant basin of water and a fire station. I haven’t given it much more thought than that. Let’s flesh it out a bit.