• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Name Creation Exercise

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thought this up as I was waking up this morning -- a relatively simple idea for name creating. Basically you take a name that already exists, and bump the letter forward or backward in the alphabet depending on if it's a vowel or consonant. I'll give some examples I thought up:

JOHN SMITH becomes:

KIJP TNESG (consonants forward, vowels backward)

That doesn't look too nice, so let's try the reverse:

HUGM RLOSJ

...well, it doesn't work with every name. ^^; Let's try a popular one from fantasy.

BILBO BAGGINS

Consonants forward, vowels backward, it's:

CEMCI CYHHEPT [Y is counted as a vowel here]

There could be something useful there. And the reverse:

ZOKZU ZEFFOMR

Take off the R and it looks pretty cool, IMO.

Bumping both types of letter in the same direction could yield some interesting results as well. What can you guys come up with?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I like it.
It doesn't even matter if the changing of the letters don't make sense or create something that can be pronounced. Read it out anyway and write it down as it sounds to you. Cut down or edit as you see fit.

KIJP TNESG >> Kip Tenesk
HUGM RLOSJ >> Ugim Rolosj

CEMCI CYHHEPT >> Czemsi Kyhepht
ZOKZU ZEFFOMR >> Zocco Zephoma

It works. The names have a bit of an eastern Europe feel to them, but I think it works.

Scribble

Archmage
This is fun. You can scramble the names of your enemies into villains or secondary characters who will die in horrible ways!

Rinzei

Troubadour
Go with the simple popular ones first...

Joe Bloggs
> Kia Cmihht - Maybe Kia Cimiht/Kimiht?
- Reversed: Hui Zkuffr - Maybe Hui Zikufer?

Mary Sue
> Nusz [Nusiz?] Tai / Nysa Tyi (depending on if you count Y as a vowel)
- Reversed: Lesa Roa / Lesx [Lesix?] Roa

Maddie Parker, that's the name of one of my characters I guess it doesn't sound so...ok, let's go with Middae Kerpar? I'm just getting the gist of it