• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Re-Entry

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've been gone for a couple of long stretches this summer, and I'm sure others have similarly found their work-in-progress more of a work-in-suspension. Returning to such a work presents its own peculiar challenges.

My method appears to be print. I come back to the story and I'm not feeling the rhythms at all. I read through the many files (I use Scrivener, so it's pretty much one file per scene) and don't get very far before I'm feeling even more disconnected. And discouraged. Desperate.

So, I gather the whole miserable bundle into a single file and print it. The current one is 112 pages, which includes fragments, notes, and main narrative (but excludes background, character sketches and such).

I then start with Page One, making notes. At some point, never a predictable point, I start to catch the tune again. Mere proofreading notes become copy editing, which segues into major revision, which eventuates in actual writing, and I'm on my way again. May take several days of this.

Have you folks fallen out with your novel? And how do you return to a state of grace?

Taniwha

Scribe
I've been gone for a couple of long stretches this summer, and I'm sure others have similarly found their work-in-progress more of a work-in-suspension. Returning to such a work presents its own peculiar challenges.

My method appears to be print. I come back to the story and I'm not feeling the rhythms at all. I read through the many files (I use Scrivener, so it's pretty much one file per scene) and don't get very far before I'm feeling even more disconnected. And discouraged. Desperate.

So, I gather the whole miserable bundle into a single file and print it. The current one is 112 pages, which includes fragments, notes, and main narrative (but excludes background, character sketches and such).

I then start with Page One, making notes. At some point, never a predictable point, I start to catch the tune again. Mere proofreading notes become copy editing, which segues into major revision, which eventuates in actual writing, and I'm on my way again. May take several days of this.

Have you folks fallen out with your novel? And how do you return to a state of grace?
My process at the mo is very similar. There comes a point where I have to see it in hard copy and I start to read it...editing..revising..checking connections are there etc etc and in that process I get back into my 'world' I've created and can begin writing again. I'm ready for hard copy again now too!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
We're in the same boat. The best thing I can say is to just keep at it in whatever fragments of time feel comfortable to you and are also productive.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Starting to gain some momentum. I worked through a traps section yesterday and will probably start in on an action scene today. Once I write my way down through the tunnels, we arrive at the center of the earth. Wonders await.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
It's hard for sure. I've been sitting here for 30 mins biting nervously into seeds wondering how the eff I'm going to start the next scene. Sucks being a pantser sometimes.