• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The barista at one of the coffee shops I write at asked if he could use one of the promotional quotes for Lost Dogs for a tattoo. I'm both flattered and scared. I told him I'd be honoured, but that he ought to read the book first.
The promo quote is this one:
IMG_20180626_195009_199.jpg
I'm not holding my breath for him to do it, but it's still cool that he even asked.

kennyc

Inkling
I finally got two new collections of poetry together - one traditional, one prose poetry/microfiction.
This had been on my goals list for two years now. Yeah for me!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Fyri

Inkling
I finished my fifth draft of my debut novel a few months back and just recently finished making my list for agents. 9 years ago, I finished the first draft of this book and my friend mentioned an agent to me. A freshman in high school, I had no real idea what that meant. Now, after accidentally falling in love with writing, completing the first draft of the whole series, and editing and revising the first book until everyone started screaming at me to publish, I'm here. I'm actually about to seriously talk to agents about starting my career for real. You can imagine my nerves right now.

I'm smiling back at my fourteen year old self who had no idea what she was doing, and looking forward with only a little less of one. XD Wish me luck!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'm not really high-fiving me, I'm high-fiving Eve of Snows, heh heh. Since the book has no hands, I had to do it.

My initial goal while watching KDP was to see days of 500 page reads... basically making it a book's worth of pages per day. The first 10 days of the release were full of wild swings with the best day 1011, and down as low as 64 and 111 on the 4th of July. But on the 5th it went into the 500's, 6-8 went to 8 & 900's, broke 1200 on the 9th, broke 1k again yesterdayt, and already this morning over 400... So, Eve should see a week straight of 500+ page read days.

Worthy of a little "woot!"

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Congrats on the big 10k!

I never heard it couldn't be done, but it is still a feat.

And yeah, I have to agree with most of what you've said, although I am many moons behind you in release.

I think the 30 and 60 day cliffs are created by the books and promotion strategies, or lack thereof, not the algorithm per se. Sales are sales, and Amazon reacts to them the same no matter what, far as I can tell. I've seen nothing in particular happen at 30 & 60. Just passed 60, will hit 500 sales in the next week or so and be well over 100k page reads by the end of September/90 days. Page reads trends up, sales just clip along with spikes during promotions. Nothing different to my eye.

There are a lot of myths and half-truths out there when the data necessary to really understand what's going on is hidden behind proprietary walls, LOL.

Dragon's Trail has officially crossed 10,000 sales.

30 Day Cliff, My Ass: Reflections on 10,000 Sales | Joseph Malik

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I also have to say, to agree with something more specifically... with the caveat that things will be different for different books and genres...

But I experimented with a "sale" at $2.99 and! I can sell just as many copies at $5.99, most of the time, and at worst, sell enough at $5.99 to cover the difference in quantity sold due to profit per sale. Hell, some days sold more at $5.99. But sales are, for the most part, comparable. Now, this is a 500 page epic, which is part of the caveat, LOL. People willing to spend $2.99 seem mostly as willing to spend $5.99. 2.99 might even make some people anticipate junk. I know I'm that way. Now, $16.99? My apologies to writers and publishers everywhere, but there are about 3 writers in the world I will spend $16.99 on for a digital copy of a book, LOL. It's been a while since I got to pick on Sanderson, SO! kiss off to $16.99 for a digital book. Nope, ain't gonna happen.

A 0.99 sale on a countdown deal is another story all together. That price point is a bit more magical.

Dragon's Trail has officially crossed 10,000 sales.

30 Day Cliff, My Ass: Reflections on 10,000 Sales | Joseph Malik

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Funny thing about milestones, you hit 'em, cruise on by and start looking at the next... Eve of Snows hit 500 digital and paperback sales a couple days ago, staring at 100k page reads now, LOL. And over 1k page reads per day average overall, which feels good considering the slow start at launch.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
One day short of 3 months, and 100k page reads on KU for Eve of Snows. Not huge! But it feels like something. Now to get that to 100k per month, heh heh.

Next step... Bookbub.