• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Eggs vs live birth

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
For a race which is effectively humans but with feathery wings, like the typical image of angels, which would be the better method of reproduction? Eggs or live birth. And also, whether it would be better for them to be born with the wings, or for them to develop within the first few months?

JGCully

Scribe
I think the answer would depend on whether they originally evolved or mutated from humans, or if they are a completely separate race. If evolved or descended from humans in some way, it might be that the females still give birth to live young. If they were created / evolved separately, then egg or live birth could happen. Same with the wings, though that might depend on the environment. Maybe for avoiding predators they are born with fully formed wings and must quickly learn how to use them? Just my take.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
I think, considering some of the other features of this race, that it would be unlikely that they come directly from humans.

It really depends on what you want to do with them in the story. You could go either way, and either way would present interesting scenarios and cultural elements.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
Given some of the other features of this race, I'm leaning more towards eggs due to how much easier it makes the actual reproduction process become, but the biggest point for live births is that it's always identical twins that you get, which would be confusing to figure out for eggs.

Laurence

Inkling
I imagine if they fly frequently then, evolutionarily speaking, hatching an egg earlier than a human would typically give birth would make more sense.

Futhark

Inkling
I imagine if they fly frequently then, evolutionarily speaking, hatching an egg earlier than a human would typically give birth would make more sense.
This is how birds do it, so the mothers don’t have to carry extra weight for long, but bats manage with live births. As for identical hatchlings a cell can divide and become two identical embryos before developing into eggs, but I imagine they would only lay two eggs at a time.