• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cyberpunk Fantasy Superhero setting: What if Reed Richards wasn't useless

Ewolf20

Minstrel
Just the other day, thought about what if some superhumans with high levels of intelligence contributed to human society? it's as simple as having the world end up looking a bit like blade runner but cleaner and more bright. I haven't fleshed it out as much but I wanted to find ways to integrate superpowers to give my superhumans more things to do than just fighting crime.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
In Watchmen [which I heartily recommend ], Dr Manhattan ends wars, conducts physics experiments too dangerous for humans, even sets up a Mars colony [but that was mainly just for him]. On the other hand, Adrian Veidt takes it easy and just become the world's richest and most powerful man.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
In the anime My Hero Academia about 80% of the population has their own quirk (superpower). The show is mostly about hero students learning to fight villains and handle search and rescue stuff, but they feature a lot of side characters with more functional quirks, like sonar, or creating cement walls, or floating heavy objects in construction.

There's an endless number of options for superpowers if you get down to it. If you can get beyond the character's intelligence, and focus more on personality and personal goals, you should be able be able to find one that fits well.

Ewolf20

Minstrel
about 10% have powers in my world with a small few acting as heroes. it's a bit on the low fantasy side in some areas.

Queshire

Istar
I've been musing on a story with basically the same premise of superpowers changing the world. =D It's been tough for me to avoid the cyberpunk style grittiness though.