• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The "Daily" Worldbuilding Prompt

Vaporo

Inkling
Question 33: I am in search of work. Where could, would and should I apply?

They're always looking for laborers in the hron orchards. If that's not really your cup of tea, maybe try the Talive City Guard. There's a growing crime problem, so the Chief is looking to get ahead of the issue. Or, you could go the other way and try your luck smuggling valuables in and out of the city. Otherwise, you may ask around to see if a local shop or craftsman is looking for an apprentice or some extra help.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 34: I take a big shovel and start digging, what do I see? (Colour and substance of the ground. Worms, insects, other creatures. Etcetera)

Question 34: I take a big shovel and start digging, what do I see? (Colour and substance of the ground. Worms, insects, other creatures. Etcetera)

You'll find dirt, it's that dark brown to black thing under the grass. If it's good soil where you're planning on digging. Also, how deep do you plan on digging? Dig too deep and you'll find yourself falling into one of the many tunnels or maybe even the Trade Roads. As for critters, worms, night crawlers, ants if you're unlucky. Maybe even relics and artifacts of Eld's many past wars.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Question 33: I am in search of work. Where could, would and should I apply?
They are always looking for fresh meat, I mean new faces, on the trade routes. Good money to be made as a guard if it goes well. Enough to set someone up for a few years. Okay there are the demons to worry about. And the weather. Oh, and the Bandits. Mustn't forget the Bandits.
The Camels bite and spit as well. But even with all that you might have to bribe a Caravan owner to take you on as a guard.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 35: I'm reading through the history books. Which names am I sure to come across?

Assuming you're in Wyrd, since that's where all the interesting stuff happens, the colour of dirt tends to differ depending on what magical shenanigans are happening above it. Wyrd being Wyrd, the very air is full of magical energy. You'd find a lot of broken crystals and fragments of ancient ruins, leftover from the OmniCosmos' creation.

Question 35: I'm reading through the history books. Which names am I sure to come across?

Besides the Eternal Ones, the most celebrated historical figure is Aasha, the Night Queen and Winged Purifier of Nightmares [two of her many, many titles], who fell in love with Dream and became their host. Ironically, the most important historical figure is Arkanus Major, the first being to ever harm another, but only two beings besides the Eternal Ones know about him because he wanted to remain as anonymous as possible at all costs.

elemtilas

Inkling
Question 16.
Tell me about the itinerant folk (tinkers, gypsies, roamers, carpetbaggers and hobos of all stripes) of your world. Why do they travel?

Waymen in the countryside of the Empire are probably no different than the tinkers and gypsies of your own world.

They travel because they perform services and bring goods and news and music and stories to people living far from the City. They’re the handy men, pot menders, itinerant washers, fortune tellers, beast handlers, well diggers and privy shifters of the Eastlands. They admit of any race, creed or ethnos and they do constitute a kind of itinerant kingdom within the Empire.

They are seen by many as something of an unsavoury lot. Having no fixed home or workshop means it’s difficult to track them down once they’ve vacated the region. They can almost magically disappear into crowds and, if the tales are to be believed, like to snatch away pretty young nobles to travel with them. (What they do with said pretty young nobles is a matter of many dark tales.)

There are in the Eastlands several venerable and popular ballads and sagas about the Waymen Hunt: a young noble is stolen away by three Waymen; the queen comes calling for him, but he’s gone; in order to restore peace and plenty to her realm, she’s got to go after him! Usually she ends up dying in the attempted rescue and the by now half-wild young noble must be guided by the queen’s shade until he breaks free from the Waymen’s ensorcellments. Then, hes’ got to find his way back home in order to restore his kingdom, only now it’s all in ruin or overrun by hordes of Orcs or surfeits of Elves or even surfeits of more general kind. In so doing, he’ll naturally find his true love and they’ll have to fight through all the Elves and Surfeits before they can restore the realm.

Very folkloric, your basic Waymen.

elemtilas

Inkling
Question 17.
It is rather late at night and I am hungry. What food places are still open?

Ah! In the City, even at night, you can always find a quickfood monger or street food cart that’s open all hours. Some buffet restaurants are open all night: lots of people work at night and will want a bit for elevenses, even if it’s two in the morning!

Street food varies considerably. You can certainly find a hot hound sausage monger almost anywhere. Best not to ask what actually goes into the hot hound sausage, though. By now, it should be enough for you to know that a) it’s hot and greasy and spicy and a bit salty and b) it’s in a bun. What more can you possibly ask for! Kebab fry-ups are popular. Little bits of mysterious meat cutlets and tubers fried to a stick. Mmm!

Most of the ethnic cuisine places are closed this time of night. But Wolf Three Legs is usually open for business. Westmarche Daine cuisine. What that boy can do a with a freshly roadkilled underwharf rat, I can not begin to describe! Succulent meat, spices just right! A packet of crisped taterses on the side. Mmm good eatin in the neighbourhood! He’s practically got rats and badgers and doves queuing up to be skinned, rubbed and kebab roasted! Coo-ee!

elemtilas

Inkling
Question 18.
Which arts are most appreciated in your world?

Storytelling is probably the most appreciated of all. Univerally sought after, a good tale and a good teller of tales can literally cause a rain of silver dalers!

When you go out into the Daine countries, they have storytellers out there that can literally fill your mind with phantasies and your heart with desires and let you live a hundred lives in the space of a long summer’s night. Not an entertainment for a Man — the minds of Men are far too easily opened and led astray by these witchqueens of wordcraft!

elemtilas

Inkling
Question 19.
Where do people get their news from? Is there an established media system? What mediums are most commonly met with? Is word of mouth common?

Word of mouth is by far the most common way people get news. Travels fastest that way, as every natural philosopher knows! Street corners, bake shops, small pubs. They all have the latest news.

The more literate will buy one (or more) of the city’s broadsheets each day and peruse at leisure. As with any good braodsheet, they’ll be full of what ships are newly come into harbour and their consignments of goods, what ships are leaving and when and whither. Digests of the moots of Parliament and the Courts; tales and news from “over the mountains and over the seas”; adverts for auctions and concerts and social gatherings and public forums.

Vaporo

Inkling

Raldan the Immortal - Known by many names and often considered to be a mythological character, Raldan has been around for all of recorded history and leaves his subtle markings everywhere he goes. He has obtained both magical Gifts to become Alstalia and an Alshalei, and is kept alive by some other supernatural regenerative power. He has started wars, negotiated treaties, and assassinated kings in service of a goal that is not known to historians.

Ikla, first queen of the Nation of Ikla - Ikla was, by all accounts, a barbarian. She stood seven and a half feet tall and frequently charged into battle with little or no assistance. She rose to power after the fall of the Untian Empire, when southerner bandits roamed the land razing whatever villages they came across. She was the husband of a farmer and with their first child when her village was attacked by one such band. This was the fourth attack on her village, but she and her husband had been untouched by the previous three. This time, though, raiders killed her husband and tried to kill her, but she bested them by virtue of her sheer size and strength. Unfortunately, her injuries caused her to miscarry, and she vowed revenge against the raiders. She realized that the only way to fight their brutality was to be equally brutal. So, she trained herself to wield a spear, cast a suit of armor from pieces of abandoned bronze lying around her village, and set out to kill every bandit she could find. Soon, she was joined by others until she had a small army at her disposal. Once the raiders were driven out, she set claim to her own piece of land. When she decided to expand that land, woe be to anyone who stood in her way.

Captain Arvus - Antisan by birth, he was the captain of a small trading ship. Antisa had recently gone to war with the nation of Elter, which had a vastly superior navy. However, some admirals got together and came up with an idea to zerg rush the enemy fleet by drafting the vessels docked in the harbor. That is how Arvus, his crew, and his vessel were drafted into the Antisan navy. They were given no training and a single small, low-quality bronze cannon for armaments. When the time came, they ended up right in the thick of the battle, and Captain Arvus fired a shot that killed the Eltran general. When the battle ended, Arvus fled along with most of the other drafted vessels, but was pursued by the Eltran general's ship. The general's wife had been on board his ship when he died, and due to some quirks with the Eltran chain of command she was now effectively the captain. So, she decided to exact revenge on Arvus and his crew.

Arvus was driven far from known waters. He sailed south along the coast, encountering lands not known in Untia. He was pursued all the way around the continent, and it was only when he returned to familiar waters that he finally managed to sink the chasing vessel by tricking it into running aground on a coral reef.

Arvus kept a detailed journal for the whole trip. For the first time, mapmakers knew the shape of the whole continent and new trade opportunities opened up in the south. His journal was published after his death, and it is now known as an Antisan national epic.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 36: Is it possible to enhance your body through means other than hitting the gym and eating well? (bio-augmentations, cybernetic implants, magical enhancements)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Question 36: Is it possible to enhance your body through means other than hitting the gym and eating well? (bio-augmentations, cybernetic implants, magical enhancements)
Yes.

With enough skill a weaver can magically enhance the body of either themselves or of someone else.

Additionally, therianthropy is a magical affliction that will enhance the victim's body in several way, making them stronger, fitter, and more enduring. However, it also has some unpleasant side effects, like slowly turning the afflicted into an animal.

Hmm...probably not, just because most in the OmniCosmos are happy with the bodies they have.

Any of The Ten, at least in names that would be unrecognizable to those who do not know them, as they went by titles at the end. So names like Solans, Mab and others would show up. Many of the current rulers such as Titania and her Three Queens would be in it and the Fisheater and Bloodtusk rulers along with Edwin the Necromancer, Glinda the White Witch, Boris the Blue, Liza the Wicked Witch of the West or the Troll Witch, Baba Yaga and Selina the Archmage. Though all are still quite alive, they shaped history as it is known.

May also come across some others in the particular book known as Histories of the Lost: Eld's Lesser Known Villains and Heroes. They who were overshadowed by those above and often ended up ran over or put to the wayside by the powers that be. From Kaga the Saurian Queen who tried an ambitious plan to conquer a portion of Eld with a dinosaur army and Blackfang the Indomitable, the dragon who almost became a god.

Of course. Bio-augments, body sculpting, magical enhancements in many forms. From bottle to spells to politely asking a fleshwright in Zukal to re-form your body. Well, politely asking and handing over a big bag of coins.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 37: How is public sanitation taken care of? (Bathhouses, hot springs, sewage, public toilets, sewage disposal?)

Um...I'm not really sure how to tactfully say this...um...

Here goes.

There is no bodily waste. When people in my world eat or drink, it, and the nutrients thereof, gets fully absorbed into their bodies.

Saigonnus

Auror
Question 37: How is public sanitation taken care of? (Bathhouses, hot springs, sewage, public toilets, sewage disposal?)

Given that magic is readily available, each domicile or other public space has charmed objects for the waste that eliminate it within moments of finishing. #noindoorplumbing

It is recycled back into the system, so to speak. Many of the cities have fairly naturally magical ways to keep the cycle of nature going. It means there is also a fairly good supply of fertilizer for the gardens and rooftop gardens and the tree's in the city decently well fed. And the rest of the city fed. A Magical Nature makes things a little easier.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 38: Can you explain one of your world's sports to me?