• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

3 prologues, 1 story, 3 POV

Raeann

I'm writing a trilogy. The first book has a prologue which tells the backstory from hundreds of years ago. I'm thinking of adding prologues in the other two books where it tells a fuller backstory. The purpose will be to hint at what the rest of the book is about, essentially filling in gaps.

My question is has anyone has seen this done successfully or/and what you guys think of doing it that way?

Thanks!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Anything can work if it's done well. Write what you think is best for your story. BUT be careful with prologues. If all you're doing is using them to drop a bunch of information onto the reader, so you don't have to work that information into the narrative of the story, then having one or even three, probably isn't going to be a good idea.

What are you trying to do with your prologues? Specifically, what are you trying to convey that cannot be done by carefully dripping in the information as the story progresses?

If the prologue acts more or less like a entry from a history book, then to me, that's information that can easily be worked into the main story. But, If the prologue reveals something very important to the understanding of the story that nobody within the context of the story has any way of knowing, then that probably belongs in a prologue.

Raeann

Those are very good points! Thank you.

Initially, I didn't have or want any prologue, but I kept getting feedback of people wanting more and more of the backstory. So I finally caved and instead of telling them bits and pieces, I showed them, tossed them in the scene. The feedback I got was much better.

The purpose of the backstory, or prologue in this case, is that is where the motivations lie. For example, it will show the goal of the villain without revealing that character.

Anything can work if it's done well. Write what you think is best for your story. BUT be careful with prologues. If all you're doing is using them to drop a bunch of information onto the reader, so you don't have to work that information into the narrative of the story, then having one or even three, probably isn't going to be a good idea.

What are you trying to do with your prologues? Specifically, what are you trying to convey that cannot be done by carefully dripping in the information as the story progresses?

If the prologue acts more or less like a entry from a history book, then to me, that's information that can easily be worked into the main story. But, If the prologue reveals something very important to the understanding of the story that nobody within the context of the story has any way of knowing, then that probably belongs in a prologue.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Those are very good points! Thank you.

Initially, I didn't have or want any prologue, but I kept getting feedback of people wanting more and more of the backstory. So I finally caved and instead of telling them bits and pieces, I showed them, tossed them in the scene. The feedback I got was much better.

The purpose of the backstory, or prologue in this case, is that is where the motivations lie. For example, it will show the goal of the villain without revealing that character.
alternate approach:

break the backstory into tiny pieces of 1-5 sentences in the forms of proverbs, citations from long dead sages, commentary or what not.

Then use those snippets as headers for individual chapters.