• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

neodoering

Minstrel
I just picked up the library's copy of Power Failure by Ben Bova. Its been a while since I read his stuff, and I'm really looking to digging in.

Ross

Acolyte
The Blade Itself, then on to Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie. It's a new, gritty fantasy trilogy. Gripping stuff so far!

Mythopoet

Auror
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It was alright.

Now I'm finally reading Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's FINALLY on kindle. I'm loving it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The Hod King, by Josiah Bancroft. I'm only partway through, but so far I'm disappointed. What had been a wildly inventive adventure story has, for this section at least, become a pine-and-whine romance. But on the strength of the first two volumes, I'll soldier on. The next section switches POV character, so there's hope for a new tone.

Gurkhal

Auror
Just got the book "The Russo-Japanese War in Global Perspectiv volume 1". Will start reading it tonight if everything goes according to plan.

ALB2012

Maester
I just finished Lord of the Flies audio (which was awesome) and gave up trying to read Moby Dick again. Not sure what's next...

Gurkhal

Auror
Thinking about making a major investment into David Edding's fantasy literature. I didn't really like it when I first read it but hopefully I am not as fixed in my preferences that I can't appreciate the parts of it that I did like, and can try to see where he's trying to take me as opposed to struggle against it.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Does anyone remember me saying that I started reading Peter Frankopan's silk roads?

5 months later I've finished it. An absolutely fantastic history book telling world history from the perspective of the heartland of Asia. I fully recommend it to anyne evenbhalfway interested in the subject, though because it is so densely packed with information I got sidetracked way too often, to the point that I had to read other books in between just to give myself a bit of a breather.

Onwards to other tales!

Yzjdriel

Acolyte
Currently re-reading the code I'm testing tomorrow.
Also reading Grandma's Pączki recipe - well, trying to. Polish diacritical marks and her cursive never went well together, I'm afraid.

I'm technically in the middle of like 5 books and my Goodreads shows more than that because i've abandoned several and haven't taken them down.

I really dislike a lot of YA. I absolutely hate the one generic voice and style it is all written in, mainly. They sound more and more the same with every passing month. There are good ones but it's hard to come upon them. But my library doesn't have any of the sequels I want to read. not a single one of scott lynch's books there, city of stairs is just there bereft of its sequels, not a single first book in any of brandon sanderson's series is ever there (idk if he's any good or not i havent had the opportunity to find out), i've been searching for the sequel to annihilation for half a year, but it's never there. I waited months and months for gardens of the moon to show up and now deadhouse gates has been absent for like 5 months. How? If you can consistently have 4 copies of twilight on the shelves you can keep one book of literally any good series, YA or otherwise, cant you? but no

My local library's general fiction section is like 6 rows of shelves thats mostly christian romance novels. It's bad. Very, very bad. No fantasy novel that is even a little bit off the beaten path, except some weird arthurian stuff i have no interest in. The young adult section is, admittedly, rather robust, and i find myself bringing home and rejecting YA books over and over. Almost nothing on my TBR is even there if it's not YA. I don't have the money to buy things just so I can see if I like them, or buy them at all, and i'm sure as hell not buying just the second book in a series.

Basically nothing I'm reading right now is doing it for me and I'm just going to sit here and...try to survive it I guess

Honestly if good books weren't so uncommon...

Reactions: Tom
honestly i'm not sure how YA is such a huge category because you can read 5 of em published in the past 5 years and you have a pretty good chance of having read almost everything published in the same time span. Is the category held up by people who *habitually* buy YA? How do you even???

This current epoch is almost worse than when all those shitty dystopians were getting published in the wake of the hunger games. Now the thing is queens, and there are dozens of barely distinguishable books about girls having to take back their thrones. Usually at least two female POV's. Girl is always a badass fighter. Generic fantasy world. Two or three fantasy creatures. Something something forbidden magic. Something empire. Bland court intrigue. It's not anything like with the hunger games where dystopia was everywhere, it's the same plotline over and over, not just the same tropes.

Azeroth

Dreamer
I am slogging my way through the Wheel of Time, currently on #5 -- The Fires of Heaven. I aim to complete the entire series by the end of the year.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Currently reading The Tattooed Wolf, by K Bannerman. It's categorized as Paranormal / Dark Fantasy / Low Fantasy, but I'm not sure it fits what I would commonly associate with any of that.

Either way, the story is about a divorce lawyer.
One day a man comes in for an appointment. The man claims to be a werewolf and asks that the lawyer represents his wife in their upcoming divorce proceedings. He also claims his wife tried to kill him, twice.

I picked it up thinking it would help me better nail down what categories my own book would fit in. I'm not sure my story really matches this one, but it's still enjoyable. Not sure what category I'd put it in myself though. :p

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Currently re-reading the code I'm testing tomorrow.
Also reading Grandma's Pączki recipe - well, trying to. Polish diacritical marks and her cursive never went well together, I'm afraid.
We had a family friend that made Pączki for holidays and birthdays. My mouth still waters at the thought of them.