• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rome Total War!

Phoenix

Troubadour
Greetings my fellow Romans!! I'm curious to see if any mythic scribe members play Total War. Even more so if its Rome Total War. I'm interested in forming a clan. If anyone wants to ask about the game go right ahead.

Giant

Minstrel
Is this game by the same people that made Dragons of Atlantis? I really enjoyed that game until they (money grubbing creators) kept adding more and more cash only items. It takes the average player right out of the game when the money players come in.

Telcontar

Staff
Love the Total War Games. I have to ask, though - why are you going all the way back to Rome? That game is pretty ancient now. Medieval II is still my favorite in the series, though Empire gained a lot with the mods. Shogun II is pretty good, but there are some definite weaknesses I would like to see addressed in mods.

Phoenix

Troubadour
Rome Total War is my first pick because it is in my favorite time period. I'm looking into getting Medieval II ,as it comes in at a close second.

Giant, no they are not the same creators. Total War is under The Creative Assembly and Sega. It is a real time strategy game allowing you to control thousands of soldiers.

I liked Rome a lot, but have to admit I like the first one, Shogun, about as much as any of them - maybe more. I suspect its because I enjoyed the battlefield tactics more than the overall strategy and the later versions kept piling on more and more global strategy. Plus, their seemed to be fewer types of troops in the earlier versions, so how you manuvered them on the battlefield was more important. But a prettly good series all around.

Epaminondas

Scribe
I played medieval II quite a bit (disk drive is broke on my game pc now). I cannot stress how much I loved that game and
Rome is on the same game engine.
It took me around three months just to unlock all of the nations. All in all its a very addictive game with tons of replayability. I really do want to try some of the other versions, particularly the Napoleonic one.

Xanados

Maester
I have found that playing games such as Total War can increase your general knowledge as a writer. Warband is another good example of this.

Phoenix

Troubadour
We are any of you guys interested in forming a clan? All I have is Rome, but I can probably get Medieval II

Medieval 2 was awesome! I don't play anymore because my desktop computer is now so slow that attempting to play is just miserable. I bought Empire but didn't have the specs to run it... anyways, they are awesome games.

Phoenix

Troubadour
Well Rome is actually running well where multiplayer is concerned. Have you guys looked up the Prince of Macedon?

WilliamElse

Dreamer
I love Rome and Medieval II. Personally, I think the series has gone downhill in terms of gameplay since then. There's also a great LOTR mod for Medieval II called 'Third Age' - well worth checking out.

gerald.parson

Troubadour
Third age has some really cool aspects, and some really crappy ones too. But it is free as it is a community mod, and I give them tons of credit for that. There just isn't enough units for my taste, and the disparity between some of the factions is almost nil. Id try it out though for sure. Install for me was a little tricky but other than that didn't have to many issues with CTD's

Ivan

Minstrel
I play Medieval, the first one. I like the feel of it I guess. I enjoyed Rome but don't play it any more.

Phoenix

Troubadour
I just got Medieval II. Very good game! Runs better than Rome, but I like the History of Rome better. Anyone want to make a clan in either game?

Xanados

Maester
I just got Medieval II. Very good game! Runs better than Rome, but I like the History of Rome better. Anyone want to make a clan in either game?
Yeah, it does run better. I would but I'm really bad at the game. I only play it casually.