• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why doesn't anyone write about more corpse-like and uncanny vampires?

The Strain handles vamps a bit differently than what the majority have gotten used to seeing. They're brutal and creepy, and function like a hive mind. Pretty cool stuff.

The Über-vamps(The Turok-Han) in season 7 of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" were more like monsters and far less human-like than any previous vampire in that show(from what I can remember). I scare kinda easily, but the über-vamps were nasty. Strong and hard to kill too. Good luck with your project. :)

gia

Scribe
Not everybody has the identical type of vampire, but there is conformity when people write vampires.

Do vampires always need to be portrayed as living humans?

Vampires live on blood...which is all about life, passion, and power. In esoteric studies getting someone's blood is a way of gaining power over them. So perhaps a new version of a vampire could be like shamans who stalk power....how would a vampire stalk power? Perhaps by going after powerful humans (celebrities! presidents! priests!). As we know power can be used to corrupt so really it then become a conversation about powerfully good against powerfully evil. Hmmm....sounds like a Marvel Comics movie.

Ewolf20

Minstrel
I hate vampires. They're disgusting.

Now, werewolves? I'm totally in.
i like werewolves (though other werebeast need some love) but i don't mind vampires but...and this might be unpopular but...FREAKING HATE ZOMBIES. I'm like the only person in the freaking universe that unconditionally hates them. so naturally, the idea of blood sucking zombies is a turn off. much prefer more cold calculating takes on vampires than just another dumb monster.

D

Deleted member 6067

I think it partially stems from their food and partially from the whole 'werewolves and vampires' comparison. The former needs flesh, which you can only acquire through means of gore and brutality. The latter needs blood only, which, while you can get your hands on the same way, is not the most practical method.

At fourteen I became obsessed with Vampires. But not Dracula and Interview with a Vampire types. I used to love reading the European Folklore all about them - to me they are the real vampires. I wish someone would write about what they were like in their earliest form.
I don't know why people felt the need to romanticise them.