• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What music do you listen to when you write?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The reggae flavor is nice. I'm not a fan of the genre in situ, but it sits nicely into a chill mix.

It's sort of crazy how that music reaches my ears. Someone made recordings, scattered all over the globe, really. Maybe it's on CD; most likely the cuts are floating in one cloud or another. Some guy in Ireland grabs these and mixes them, which entails wi-fi and satellites and specialty software, not to mention a well-tuned music sensibility to make the blend. That new concoction, like a new sort of cocktail, is put up on the bar (this one's called MixCloud). More satellites, cables, wi-fi, and finally a wire that comes out of my laptop into my ears.

We're a long way from Brother Marconi, ain't we?

And even more fun--I'm listening to this while reading about Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. Specifically, G.G Coulton's flawed but highly readable biography, which I get as a PDF off of the Internet Archive, where it lives because it got scanned by some project or other (anyone remember the Gutenberg Project?). Sometimes I feel like I'm living inside the Great Library at Alexandria. With music.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
...and yet, we're writing words, for people to read. :)

But yes, it's fascinating when you think of it. It's all just there, but there's so much that goes into actually getting it there.