• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

blog Punkography

Black Dragon submitted a new blog post:

Punkography

This article is by by Cathy, the Overprepared GM, PsychoJuliet, Jaren J. Petty, and Cryssalia Noire, and is presented by Worldbuilding Magazine.

Technology.jpg

Punk

The mid-seventies saw the birth of a new artform, punk. It was a style, an ideology, and a way of life. It was a reaction to the peaceful acceptance of the hippie culture, the bombastic glamour of disco, and the calculated, slick production of corporate rock. It was aggressively rude and unapologetically raw. Punk wove together the pared down simplicity of the beat poets, the distrust of institutions from sci-fi dystopias, the revolutionary zeal of the Marxists, and the throw-yourself-at-it ethos of the garage rock scene into a chaotic cocktail of anarchy, nihilism, honesty, and creative expression. Although the word punk started as an insult by an older generation, the new punks revelled in the epithet, owning their image as troublemakers and unwilling to gloss over ugliness.

Punk music gave voice to a young, disenfranchised, and angry working class and dealt with problems on all scales, from the looming threat of nuclear war to being depressed. It shouted that society was screwed up—that not all was well and not all were equal. Eventually punk music exploded, attracting both popular and corporate attention. No longer an underground scene, the punk movement,...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
This was a good overview of the punkeries!
It goes to confirm that my own 'cyberpunk' is neither cyber nor punk, only fitting the genre in its guiding philosophy and aesthetic influences. Of course now that I know a bit more about solarpunk, I can take a page from them and say I'm being a punk rebelling against the punk genre ;)

Well done