• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Request for ASOIAF resources

D

Deleted member 6270

ASOIAF = A Song Of Ice And Fire (George R R Martin).

Does anyone know of any websites, blogs, etc that really examine the ASOIAF books? As in, discussing character design, world-building, plot structure, how multiple viewpoints are used, opponents, battle scenes, etc?

I find it helps me to read / listen to analyses of stories that I enjoy, especially if those analyses explore how each part of those stories were created. Not just saying 'I like this character' but rather 'This character is good because they represent this theme, they have this goal, they are a good opponent for this other character because...' and so on. Examining each aspect of the story closely from a fellow writer's perspective, rather than just a fan perspective, and looking at how all those aspects affect each other and combine to form the whole story.

There are loads of sites out there that give advice about writing. But it's much easier for me to put that advice to use if I actually have examples of how it is used in stories I already know and like. ASOIAF is the most similar story I know of to one I'm writing, which is why I'm specifically looking for resources regarding that. I'm struggling to use a lot of writing advice because it doesn't give actual examples of it being used, which makes it harder to understand properly.

If you have similar resources for any other fantasy fiction with multiple protagonists, feel free to post that too. You never know what will be helpful.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've never read the books [or seen much of the GRRM based TV show] so I can't really offer advice on where to find resources for it.
You may find more sites for Tolkien. There are several well established groups. The Tolkien Society springs to mind and I know there are others.
Or maybe start a thread here with a particular question about GRRM's writing or a critique of it?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I know GRRM still maintains a LiveJournal account. I know he writes on a very old computer using WordStar and doesn't save to the cloud, so they say. (That should terrify you.) I would check out the LiveJournal and see if he talks about process there. Sorry, I've never followed it so I don't have a link for you.

We (my writing team) also write using multiple protagonists in an urban fantasy setting. It's a lot of fun.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
That is terrifying. I don't save to the cloud but i do email myself, mostly cause i write in several locations. When i started is was using word perfect 5.1 for dos. In my current profession you would be surprised how many ppl still talk longingly for the old word perfect. Id not be upset if i was still using it too.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
That is terrifying. I don't save to the cloud but i do email myself, mostly cause i write in several locations. When i started is was using word perfect 5.1 for dos. In my current profession you would be surprised how many ppl still talk longingly for the old word perfect. Id not be upset if i was still using it too.
Totally off topic for a moment...
I write in Office because I write in different locations and on different devices. I don't do it on my phone, but I could, and it would all sync up in real time and save to the Cloud while I do it. I know a lot of people don't like it as a subscription service, but Microsoft is adding new features all the time and it's the industry standard for a reason. My wife can take my documents, compile them, and practically upload them straight to Amazon. It's very easy and it's saved my writing during two different computer crashes in two years.