• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Notre Dame

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ah man....

The history. I know nothing lasts forever, but this is not something that should not happen.

Lot of stories and art based just on this place.

notre-dame-fire-Artboard_1.jpg

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It was [IS let's be hopeful] even more spectacular when you got close up. I got some nice pictures of the Saint Statues when I was last in Paris.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
The first article I saw had said the main tower had already fallen over. Fire crews were trying to rescue artwork, and all the bronze statues had already been removed prior to the renovation. But...never know if first anything can be trusted. I would think the stone portions would be okay, just darker, but I am not sure how much is really stone.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Most of what has been destroyed so far was already being renovated, with other sections destroyed being relatively recent renovations from the 19th century. As long as the whole structure doesn't collapse, it should be possible to rebuild it in the span of a decade or two.

Not to say it doesn't suck, but it will be fine soon enough. Plus, how often do you get to see a fire like that? Just another part of history unfolding before us (with new fantastic stories around it surely to follow).

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Working out how much damage the fire, heat and water has done to the stone work will take some time. There was a fairly big fire inside the North Bell Tower for a while last night from what I've read/seen.

We lived in Paris for five years. Notre Dame was where I went to sketch. My hear is broken over this devastation. So much lost.

It's sad. I really, really wanted to go there and now I'll never see it in it's original form. Gutted for all the people that it meant so much to as well.
But really, it's just a building, the loss of human and animal life is what I really weep for.