• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Beta readers

martinH

Acolyte
Always and as many I can possibly find that meet two criteria: 1 - I can trust them to finish the entire text; 2 - I can trust them to give me solid and honest opinion, even if not favorable. The hard thing is to find the critique that is actually worth while.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I love beta readers, and I pity them at the same time. I would take any. I would like them to read to the end, and comment on the whole rather than parts, or have proper perspective of the whole before getting to the parts. If I had many, I would look for something they all seemed to be saying, as opposed to one offs, if everyone said, why was there no X, I might think of adding an X.

Since having many is no easy feat, having a few good one that you can trust is the best I can get. Most of my readers are fairly successful themselves so, I trust them. I cant say I always listen to them though....

I do wish this site had more of a peer review feature to it. While I enjoy being free of the pressure to review, I do feel this is a little missing on a site for writers.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Do you use them? How many do you recommend?
Kind of, although not in the traditional sense of the term. The last several books I've written cold on Wattpad, gauging audience vibe to the story line and pretty much molded the entire thing from there. So...yeah? Not really? For what it's worth I think it's pretty important for there to be eyes on your manuscript. Whatever and whomever/whoever works for you and your work. Negative Nancies need not apply.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
With Emma's Story I had a bunch of beta readers, and I tried (well, more or less) to fix all the issues all of them pointed out.

With Lost Dogs, I've had one beta reader for the first six books, and I'm adding two more for book seven.

I would recommend at least one. I would also recommend that the person is someone who enjoys and gets what you're trying to do, rather than some friend or family member who just wants to support you as a writer.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
With Emma's Story I had a bunch of beta readers, and I tried (well, more or less) to fix all the issues all of them pointed out.

With Lost Dogs, I've had one beta reader for the first six books, and I'm adding two more for book seven.

I would recommend at least one. I would also recommend that the person is someone who enjoys and gets what you're trying to do, rather than some friend or family member who just wants to support you as a writer.
You were one of the best I've had. Too bad you don't necessarily enjoy historical romance. :D

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We have four in our target demographic. All four of them finish the reading. It would be nice if they finished before publication, but hey, whatever. We love them and they give great feedback. What we need at this point is a street team.

Rkcapps

Sage
"Negative Nancies need not apply". How true, Chessie2!

Another set of eyes is essential. I didn't always think that, but I've learnt it now.

I had a critique partner like an old school marm teacher, and whilst I learnt a tonne, I feel it cramped my voice too much. After a year, we parted ways, amicably I hope. I am grateful, thanks to her I can spot POV problems in any writing (if in 3rd deep, which I write).

I can handle comments, but comments every line sometime twice or three times in the same line just confuses what I'm trying to do. Now I feel I have to rewrite everything to put my voice back in. My fault, I was too easily influenced and the heavy-handed comments stripped my voice. I think leaving that critique group was the best thing I ever did!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
You were one of the best I've had. Too bad you don't necessarily enjoy historical romance. :D
Aww, thank you.

It's a good point though - I think it's important that a beta reader really is into what you're doing. There was a thread recently about whether writers are good for crit partners. They can be, but I think there's a big risk of writers providing the "wrong" kind of feedback.

KJF

Acolyte
I have oneI trust as my first reader. He knows the genre, is an avid reader, and is not a writer. If an early draft meets with his approval I know I have a viable story. Then I edit, edit, edit. Once I have something I think is approaching publication ready I use a critique partner. The CP has to be a writer at my writing level/experience or better.