• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Now for a little one that took bloody forever! The number kept going up and down and up and down as people finished the book...

100 people “currently reading” Eve of Snows on Goodreads. It feels like such a small, and yet large number, at the same time. LOL.

Malik

Auror
Big week.

We reached an agreement on audio rights for Dragon's Trail and The New Magic. We're extremely happy with the deal and we should have the contract shortly. Press release and official announcement forthcoming.

The New Magic is in the top 25 on the GoodReads recommended list for the 2019 Hugo Award. (I once read something that sums up my actual chances, and it was along the lines of "roughly the same as playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver and surviving because the gun jams on a winning lottery ticket that falls out of the sky," but for God's sake, please go vote anyway.)

I'll be moderating a panel on "Pacific Northwest Indie Author Success Stories" at Emerald City Comic Con in March.

There's probably more but a lot's going on right now.

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Another odd little note as I glance at also boughts... The audiobook of Eve of Snows has picked up two Robert Jordan books in the also boughts. This, and having a Sanderson book for a while in also boughts, demonstrates that marketing targets can work. Yes, I target the “bigs” who readers compare the EoS to rather than the oft recommended targeting other indie authors.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Big week.

We reached an agreement on audio rights for Dragon's Trail and The New Magic. We're extremely happy with the deal and we should have the contract shortly. Press release and official announcement forthcoming.

The New Magic is in the top 25 on the GoodReads recommended list for the 2019 Hugo Award. (I once read something that sums up my actual chances, and it was along the lines of "roughly the same as playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver and surviving because the gun jams on a winning lottery ticket that falls out of the sky," but for God's sake, please go vote anyway.)

I'll be moderating a panel on "Pacific Northwest Indie Author Success Stories" at Emerald City Comic Con in March.

There's probably more but a lot's going on right now.
Hm. Now that we live in the foothills with Seattle only a few hours away this might be doable. The tickets seem very reasonable! What day is your talk?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
International BookBub confirmed and ready for take-off! Woohoo! February 6th, damn straight. Next up, get the Bookbub in the States. Dream a little dream.

NOTE: That’s the first try after dropping Amazon KU.

Shameless, totally shameless.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I got the omnibus edition of Lost Dogs in the mail today. :D
2019-03-25-12.01.00.jpg

Sure, the print quality doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, but it looks good at arms length. :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
It looks very professional. What software did you use to create it? And did you use an initial template of some kind to help with the layout?
Thanks.
It's all done in GIMP apart from the conversion to PDF.
I didn't use a template, but I did look at a lot of other covers for books in related genres (paranormal, Urban fantasy, etc), and then I tried to make something that fit with that, but without looking too much like your average shifter action.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I agree that the cover is most excellent. What was wrong with the print quality?
A lot of the darker shades come off as a bit faded and grainy when looking closer at them. I think that's a bit of "creator's criticism" though, and if you don't look for it, you probably won't notice.

EDIT: Also, Thanks :D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Ah. You mean the quality of the type on the cover. I thought you were referring to the interior text.

GIMP is awesome, ain't it?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ah. You mean the quality of the type on the cover. I thought you were referring to the interior text.

GIMP is awesome, ain't it?
Aye, indeed.

The interior looks great. I had to go down to 9pt type (from 10) or the book would have been too long to print, but it still looks great. Even the shoddy little map I drew came out nice. :D

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
US Bookbub for Eve of Snows! Doing a jig. Had the international a few months back, and just skipped a month or two of applying while getting Book Two ready, and last Friday I figured “what the hell” I’ll try for a US Bookbub. Yesterday I thought... “Huh, they’re taking a long time to send me a rejection email.” Today the email popped up as accepted. Woot! And this time they’ve given me plenty of time to prepare! The International promo was on top of me so damned fast I had little time to coordinate promos.

June 15th... the Ides of June... uh-oh!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I got a raving five star review on one of my books last night stating that it should be turned into a movie and that she went to sleep with her Kindle each night because she couldn't put the story down. How freaking awesome! THAT is why I write, to share hope and beauty with people. It was one of two five stars I've received this week (the other was for one of my westerns and it was very sweet). After going so long without reviews I am grateful for these two readers. <3