• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Introduction

weareOSW

Acolyte
Hey,

My name is Dean and I'm a 32 year old from England. I've been dabbling in fantasy writing since I was about thirteen and have stuck mostly to wrestling based concepts that we call 'e-feds'.

Over the past five years I've ran my own e-fed called Old School Wrestling that whilst based in wrestling, has become more about fantasy, supernatural and sci-fi than it has the wrestling itself. Our characters vary in range, with heroes from other planets, Lich King's and supernatural Scarecrows.

It's almost as if you took the WWF Attitude era, mixed it with Lucha Underground and took elements from Fantasy and rolled it all into a competitive writing game and community.

Just recently, I've decided to venture out into other realms of fantasy story telling and this was one of the places I found.

So, I thought I'd introduce myself here, show off some of my art, perhaps my writing and meet some new people.

Here's a few of the characters owned by my handlers, of which I've designed using DAZ Studio: (please excuse the shadows)

Berengar-Front.png
King-Arthur-Front-Black.png

Redwing-Front.png

Scarecrow-FrontOut.png

Troy-Solveig-FrontOut.png

OSW.jpg

I look forward to getting to know people.

Cheers,
Dean.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met weareOSW
Good to have you here.
I have to admit of never hearing of e-feds but there again my interest in wrestling wained when they unmasked Kendo Nagasaki.
The images look great. There is a real 80s vibe to the images. I don't know about "old school" but it makes me think of the first gen of Cyberpunk.
Leap on in and enjoy!

weareOSW

Acolyte
Having written in e-feds for as long as I have, it's still astonishing to me how our little corner of the writing community is still rather unknown in fantasy writing circles. It's a brilliant facet of the internet that so many different communities can exist, yet not know of each other.

I should probably explain what an e-fed is.

An e-fed is an RPG. It's a place where you can create a character, get placed into competitive writing matches against other characters and roleplay to win. Every e-fed has a fedhead (the owner and judge) who cultivates a community of like minded writers. These writers handle characters that the fedhead puts into matches with each other on a weekly basis. They write what we call a promo for that match - typically a themed piece of writing, a parable, fable or comparative piece of work that talks about their opponent and submit it before a deadline. The fedhead then posts a show, with full written matches and the winner is announced there. On these shows, storylines between characters occur, and culminate in big matches at special events.

I'll show you an example of a match and a segment from one of those shows.

ZANDER ZANE vs. ELI FOREVER

It’s a battle between the Rockstar and The Heir Eternal here tonight with pride on the line!

The bell sounds as these two circle around the ring. They go for the lockup, but Zander Zane slips underneath Eli Forever’s arms. He walks towards the ropes and gives a big smirk. He turns around to catch a kick right to the midsection from Eli Forever followed by a twisting neckbreaker! Forever quickly leaps to the second rope before springing off with a knee strike just as Zane gets back to his knees! THE ATONEMENT! Zane is blasted by the shot so hard that he slumps out of the ring to the floor below. Eli Forever takes this moment to collect his thoughts.

The referee begins to count out Zane before reaching a seven count before Zander rolls back into the ring. Forever quickly rushes up and grabs the head of Zane, but The Rocker rolls him up! ONE…TWO…KICKOUT! Forever kicks out barely as they both rise to their feet. Zane leaps from the bottom rope before hooking the head of Forever and spiking him into the mat! Forever begins to get to his knees before a stalling hip thrust catches him right on the jaw! Zander Zane does a quick air guitar before climbing to the top rope.

Zane hits the split-legged moonsault! SMOKE ON THE WATER! The starship pain connects… but it’s to the knees of Eli Forever! Forever hooks the head of Zane and rolls him up now! ONE…TWO…KICKOUT! Both men rise to their feet before Forever nails a series of kicks to the midsection followed by a series of chops! THE SEVEN SINS! Zander is out on his feet as Forever springs from the ropes! THE ATONEMENT! The springboard knee strike connects again as Zane slams to the ground! Eli Forever hooks his legs! ONE…TWO…THREE!

The Heir Eternal wins a big one here as he falls into a meditative stance in his victory.

“FOX & HOUNDS”
LATER...

Troy Solveig looks a mess.

For the best part of the month he’s been hearing the howling of hellhoundsreverberating inside his mind. He hasn’t been able to sleep or think, their constant noise a distraction to The Warrior. Tonight, Troy visits the grave side of D’von Chambers, hoping to find Nocturne nearby.

He stands over the freshly dug grave, his eyes darting around the pitch black night, watchful and patient. If Nocturne is here, he’ll soon reveal himself.

Suddenly, Troy falls to his knees, clutching his head.

“I’m surprised you came for me” A voice says, emanating from within the shadows. It belongs to Nocturne, who steps out with a grin. “I thought you’d know better.”

“S-Stop it!” Solveig demands. “Stop the howling.”

Nocturne clicks his fingers.

It stops.

Solveig slowly stands up, squinting still from the pain.

“You came back for me? You traversed the pits of hell, a broken and tormented soul, just so you could seek vengeance upon the man that murdered you?” Solveig asks. “But surely there is a bigger enemy than even I, is there not?”

The Demon tilts his head. “Is that right?

“Of course,” Troy nods. “You served a God that not only kicked you out of heaven but watched you choose a different path than to return. He allowed you to become this.”

That makes Nocturne chuckle. “Do I look foolish to you?” He asks with a lean in of the neck. “Do you think he’s not on my list?”

Whoa.

That was eerie. His eyes darkened as he spoke.

“But not before you, the devious Fox.”

Solveig puts his arm out, watching as Volsungr whips through the air to meet his grasp.

“If you want to die again, so be it. But if you choose to live, then you’ll find no better offer than that of Elysium Fields. Join us and you’ll see your creator dead.”

Nocturne considers it, if briefly. “If that’s heavy, I’d put it down if I were you.”

He clicks his fingers.

And two snarling hellhounds, black as night, their eyes as red as the devil himself, appear.

They howl so loudly that Troy Solveig drops his hammer.

Run.

Cut.

-----------------

That's essentially the show aspect of the hobby. We have a standard match between two competitive writers and a storyline between Troy Solveig, a vessel for Loki - a trickster, and Nocturne, a former Angel turned Demon who brutally had his grace stolen from him by Troy when murdered months earlier.

Roleplays are a whole different beast. I'll post one of those below.

weareOSW

Acolyte
This is the winning promo/roleplay, written by Eli Forever for his match above with Zander Zane.

---​

FAME.
ELI FOREVER

The Book of Eli
Chapter XXXVI

Fame.

Once upon a time, a band named Fame won over the attention of millions strong when they wrote catchiest song of the summer.

Like kindling to a fire, it became a viral infection that took over the radio airwaves – piping through cheap car speakers, becoming the soundtrack to the spring break beaches, and a tonal disease that brought with it the strength of an inescapable black plague.

The kids danced to it.

The parents grew tired of it.

Then they danced to it.

And the world became Fame’s oyster to crack.

The talk of the news, broadcasters and journalists alike sensationalized the song and begged the question that seemed to trend on everyone’s mind.

What was next for this overnight success?

Fame wondered that too, as they hid behind closed doors of their studio and tried to make sense to all of this. You see, there was never the intention to explode like they did. The tinted-window limos, the red carpets, the necessity of mutant security guards hovering over them so that the obsessive couldn’t have their way with them.

They vowed to never forget the dank garage that they came from – where all of their cheap, fire-hazard band equipment from yesterday still sat, collecting dust for years to come.

There was a hunger out there though.

A hunger for them – and there were advisers with lips against their ears, telling them that this is the ride that only a small group of infinitely fortunate people get passes for. They could make millions, sleep with the most beautiful women, and never have to worry about anything ever again.

So, they turned away from the garage that made them and took the ride.

And in doing so, they created more music.

They were the talk of the summer, so surely anything they made moving forward would become an instant windfall.

Right?

Unfortunately, summer ended.

And as the Winter steered everyone away from the beaches and brought the music down to a dull roar, the success of the boys of Fame faded away too. They tried everything in their power to redirect themselves from this deadly course – releasing different genres of music, changing their style to adhere to a sudden shift in universal interests.

But nothing seemed to work.

You swallowed the idea of fame, based upon the lightning that you collected in a bottle long ago, and turned away from everything that gave you opportunity to fall into this great facade, didn’t you Zander?

When those boys tried to retreat back to their garage, all they arrived to was a foreclosure sign.

You foreclosed on a life of normalcy for the sake of fame, Zander, but will you always believe it all to be worth it?

Will the drugs – that you were served to numb you just enough to maintain the machine that everybody wanted – always be there to protect you? Or will you, one day, have no choice to run away from it?

And like the boys of Fame, what will be left when it’s all said and done?

What will be left of you?