• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Broken Earth series

Written by N.K Jemisin it’s a fantastic Fantasy. World building is solid. Her writing is hard hitting and , to me, different than any author I have read before and if I have, hers hits you more in the face. She uses the second-person point of view with the use of the pronoun “you”. She uses third person as well as a narrator. It’s all seamless.

Is anyone else reading the series? She has three, The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky.
What do/did you think of her writing?

Mythopoet

Auror
I enjoyed the series. I thought book one was amazing. Monumental, if you will. (har har) Book two was pretty good too. Book three disappointed me a bit, but I am more than willing to admit that this is just because it didn't quite go in the directions that I would have taken the story were I the writer. Also I felt that by the end I didn't have enough clear answers to my questions about the world. I'm one of those people who wants to know everything.

I love her writing too! I haven't finished book two of the Broken Earth series yet, but I think it might be because it's an audiobook and sometimes I can't stick with books as well if the narrator isn't quite right for me.

Have you read any of her other series? I think the Dreamblood books are my favorite of hers, and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was a good series too.