• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with the Elements of Maigic

Sammo2191

Acolyte
Hey guys, I am super new to this and have never posted anything for help on one of these forums before, so I hope I am doing it the right way.

I am writing a book to do with Gods/Goddesses and witches, I am following a similar path of the Wiccan religion but with my twist on it; I have only followed the truth loosely, giving it more of a fantasy twist. I am still in the early stages of this book, and I am mainly focusing on building the storyline before I start to write the full story, but there is just one thing that I am stuck on;

In my book, I have gone with the five Wiccan Elements; Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit, but what I want is a dark version of these. I have witches called 'Elementals', and they are the force of good, but, I now want to add dark witches, who are also Elementals but the opposite version.

What could I use as the Opposites of Earth, Air, Fire and Water?
I have already decided to use Decay as the opposite for Spirit. I am just struggling with the others?

Any help is appreciated, thanks, guys.

Futhark

Inkling
Hmm. Don’t really know, since these are basic elements and already contain their opposite. Fire and water; earth and air. Maybe you could add a ‘good’ and ‘evil’ aspects of these elements? Here’s an example of what I mean. The good witches use the fertile earth, the gentle air, the warming fire, and the healing water. The dark witches use the barren earth, the strong air, the destructive fire, and the poisonous water. Otherwise, I would say that you’d have to think outside the box, and find alternatives rather than opposites.

Oh, and welcome; and yes, you’re doing it the right way. :)

Sammo2191

Acolyte
Thank you Futhark, that is really helpful. That was the issue i was coming up against, because of the opposites already existing, it was hard to create new ones. I like the idea of the darker aspect of the original elements.

Earth = Umbra Earth
Water = Black Water =
Fire = Shadow Fire
Air = Dark Air

I will use the devastating side of the elements as the counterparts.