• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your opinions on “The Prophecy” in Fantasy?

Jane Starwood

Thanks, Futhark. I like what you've said. My trilogy has prophecies and I've revealed them up front, but I think I'll change that and let my MC discover the prophecies after she's learned that she has free will, no matter what the prophecies say. She can choose whether or not to fulfill them, because prophecy is not destiny, just one seer's interpretation of visions seen long ago. They envision one possible future but don't dictate events.

Yora

Maester
A good prophecy foretells what consequences will result from a given action.

Making that action happen, or preventing it from happening, still remains a big challenge to the characters.

weareOSW

Acolyte
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with a prophecy story or storyline, as long as it's handled well. I would always consider adding a twist to it, though, to keep the reader surprised by the outcome. A prophecy can be purposefully vague, allowing you some wiggle room to manoeuvre and deliver to the reader a few surprises along the way.

Sammo2191

Acolyte
I have a 'Prophecy' in one of my stories. I guess it depends on the way that you put it into the story. I would have to agree, it is slightly annoying when the prophecy pops up too soon and you are left feeling a little frustrated, especially if the 'hero' hasn't done anything yet, or if they have only just learnt about the world that the prophecy takes place in. In these cases, it feels more like instructions than a prophecy. In my, I left the prophecy until the third story of my trilogy. The "saviour" has already been through so much and this is the final task that they have to take.

Although, I probably wouldn't stop reading a book if a prophecy came in too early. I suppose it all comes down to the context and the way that it is delivered :)