• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

how can you operate a witch coven as a pyramid scheme?

Erebus

Troubadour
A crone is a witch on the path to achieving godhood by stealing the life force of others through a dark ritual. The second stage on this path is the baba yaga, a point where the crone loses all traces of humanity and transforms into a higher life form, a reflection of her inner self. This creature is powerful, with natural abilities unique to itself, and can use them to create her own unique spells. At this stage, it can form a cult of individuals with a unique mindset of ascending to gods, but devoted to her. It can no longer operate openly due to its change in appearence, so must use its more human witch emissaries to act on its behalf.These followers are taught the kind of magic created by the baba yaga and are given similiar abilities unique to her craft by it, and go out into the world to spread it's influence in various ways, through war or business, etc. They are usually small in number and operate independently, but may come together to serve a bigger purpose.

However, these witches are also capable of performing this dark ritual whenever they have the chance, and are likely to do so. Understanding this, the baba yaga wants to ensure that none of them get more power faster than her. Whenever a witch performs this ritual on an individual, a small portion of the energy gained should be given to her. The more followers it has, the more power it gains through their efforts. This ensures that she reaches her goals faster, and prevents any one individual from surpassing her in power.

This is a cutthroat operation where each witch is out to achieve power for themselves, and distrust and treachery is commonplace. It is similar to the Sith with the master apprentice concept, but without the rule of two to keep it in "check". Expecting these ruthless individuals to give up even a small portion of power to the baba yaga is unrealistic.

How can a baba yaga ensure that this practice continues with consistency despite all the backstabbing and treachery?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, Amway figured it out.

I think there two, maybe three, elements missing from the pyramid scheme above. Frist, is that the pyramid is maintained by a promised reward, and all of the members get to share in it, only just a little less so than the one above. So, if immortality is the game, those a little lower on the pyramid should still have the reward of a longer life span. A longer life span increases the pool of souls that can be consumed for this scheme, as one is not limited to the number souls living solely in their lifespan. Two: In a Pyramid scheme, the one on top always gets more rewards than those below. So the witch on top, even if the ones below transform in some way, should also become more powerful for them doing so. And thereby assure that they will always be the more powerful. This power would have to be enough to over-power a direct underling or their reign may not last. And three: In a pyramid scheme, the hope is that those below you will rise, and thereby increase your wealth, so it would seem counter to the scheme to be rooting against it.

Last, a pyramid scheme essentially runs out of potential underlings pretty rapidly if all of them are successful. So I would suggest only a small number is actually needed for one to gain story effecting power.

I agree, What keeps pyramid schemes effective are the elusive promises or power, wealth and, often, a supposed path to gaining self-worth. All while masking how the top of the pyramid continues to profit most while the lower layers have to work harder and harder to achieve the same. But the further down the line you are, the less likely you are to know or have any idea how much the top is profiting or even who's up there. That ignorance or illusion/promise of future "wealth" or power is what keeps things moving along. The larger the scheme, the less likely the underlings down the ladder can see the big picture. Your idea is wonderful!

I think, if I were building this, I would work from the point of view of a character who is sucked in by the promises and then becomes aware of the dynamics of the true scheme which is guarded by a protective decree that "whistleblowers", those who recognize the scheme for what it is and try in any way to bring it down, are dealt with in a swift manner to silence them. I've listened to several wonderful podcasts about the dark side of such cults and schemes of late and there is enough in those true stories to turn it on the edge of a magical dime and make it work very well! Good luck!!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There are few things more consistent than backstabbing and treachery. Why not roll with it?