• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with creating my world

ClearDragon

Troubadour
I'm creating a fantasy world and need some advice. It's to be a flat world and I want it to have about the same land area as earth, but seem to have a bit of problem.
First about the history of my world, there will be two versions: A perfect world where the continent is a perfect circle surrounded by the ocean, and then a "fallen" version where the continent is shattered into a bunch of smaller continents and the ecosystems and cultures are a wreck!
My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how big the original continent should be. Knowing how many miles across the circle should be is what I need.
Also how wide should the ocean be before it meets the outer limit of the world?

Futhark

Inkling
divide the area of the circle by π and then find that number's square root to get the radius. x 2 for diameter
Area of land: 148 326 000 km2 (57 268 900 square miles)
13,742 km or 8,539 miles (I think)

elemtilas

Inkling
I'm creating a fantasy world and need some advice. It's to be a flat world and I want it to have about the same land area as earth, but seem to have a bit of problem.
First about the history of my world, there will be two versions: A perfect world where the continent is a perfect circle surrounded by the ocean, and then a "fallen" version where the continent is shattered into a bunch of smaller continents and the ecosystems and cultures are a wreck!
My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how big the original continent should be. Knowing how many miles across the circle should be is what I need.
Also how wide should the ocean be before it meets the outer limit of the world?

Well, Earth's total surface area is about 200 million square miles;
Earth's total land area is about 58 million square miles or 30%.

Your flat world will have a diameter of about 15957.69 miles;
30% of that figure is 5319.23mi, about the size of your supercontinent.

The rest is, as they say, mythistory!

ClearDragon

Troubadour
How did the world fall? It may change how big the landmass is before and after.

A battle between the gods of the world and an army of demons. It was a tie resulting in both the gods and demons being destroyed. During the battle the moon got knocked out of the sky and the impact did most of the damage.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
divide the area of the circle by π and then find that number's square root to get the radius. x 2 for diameter
Area of land: 148 326 000 km2 (57 268 900 square miles)
13,742 km or 8,539 miles (I think)

Thats close to what I got, but I'm not confident with my math.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Well, Earth's total surface area is about 200 million square miles;
Earth's total land area is about 58 million square miles or 30%.

Your flat world will have a diameter of about 15957.69 miles;
30% of that figure is 5319.23mi, about the size of your supercontinent.

The rest is, as they say, mythistory!

Wow, that's very different than my first and second versions! The first version had a radius of twelve thousand miles, and the second six thousand.
I'll start on version three then.

PS: Sorry about triple posting, I got a bit excited about this....

elemtilas

Inkling
Wow, that's very different than my first and second versions! The first version had a radius of twelve thousand miles, and the second six thousand.
I'll start on version three then.

PS: Sorry about triple posting, I got a bit excited about this....

Well, I'm excited to read about it!

By the way, moon falling to earth and breaking up the pre-fall supercontinent (like a shooter marble smacking into a glass dinner plate!) is a really cool idea.

Well, nòt cool if you're one of the locals observing the event take place, but you get the idea!

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Well, I'm excited to read about it!

By the way, moon falling to earth and breaking up the pre-fall supercontinent (like a shooter marble smacking into a glass dinner plate!) is a really cool idea.

Well, nòt cool if you're one of the locals observing the event take place, but you get the idea!

Thanks, I'll be posting a prototype map of the perfect world in a new thread tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah, lol it was nearly the end of the world!

Riva

Minstrel
If I understand this correctly you are trying to find when the area of the inner circle is equal to that of the outer ocean ring. Right?

It's pretty simple then (someone please check this though, just in case): you can express the surface area of the earth as:
r^2*pi = A

Then you solve for the radius r to get the radius in function of the surface, like this:
r = (A/pi)^(1/2)

Now you can find how the radius change in relation to the area, therefore half the circle area A would mean a radius r' equal to:
((1/2)*A/pi)^(1/2)

Now you only have to plug in the values.

Edit: yeah reading it again I got it wrong :p but you can still apply the formula if you know Earth's surface and the land to ocean ratio.

Last edited:

Dina

Dreamer
Ha! Flat Earth is cool. When the flat earth societies read your book, they'll all say "I KNEW IT!"

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Ha! Flat Earth is cool. When the flat earth societies read your book, they'll all say "I KNEW IT!"

Lol! I knew about them, but never thought of that.
I've got a map posted and some information about my world if anyone is interested.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Lol, nice idea! But I don't think the people in this world would have the time, when the story takes place the world is in it's destroyed state and everyone has to struggle to survive.
Ah... but that is when you hear the myth of the safe stable nice place to live known as the ball world... Nothing bad EVER happens there and you can walk in any direction forever!!!!!

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Ah... but that is when you hear the myth of the safe stable nice place to live known as the ball world... Nothing bad EVER happens there and you can walk in any direction forever!!!!!

Maybe that can be their paradice mith, since the paradice the world once was is gone.
Have you seen my map of the perfect world? It's pretty simple, the destroyed version will have a huge impact crater, towering mountains, different climates ect. Here look.
Fantasy-world-full-map-perfect.png

Rob Ball

Acolyte
Why not use pangea as a guide.

I know its not a perfect circle but it might be useful for working out where terrain features will be and general size and mass.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Why not use pangea as a guide.

I know its not a perfect circle but it might be useful for working out where terrain features will be and general size and mass.

I've actually not thought of that! I might but I kinda am happy with how it is now.