• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Afterward, or not?

Mythopoet

Auror
Let us know when you publish it! I have a few kids who like horror.

All I can say is that I love author afterwords. I can't think of a single time I didn't.

Hey all:

I'm finishing up a book of horror stories for the middle grade audience. I expect it will go over like a lead balloon due to the fact that the stories are all very grim, but it is more of a personal labor of love because my kids always complained that stories they read weren't scary enough and these are some I developed from telling tales to them.

In any event, my work for children is typically very upbeat and pleasant. My other project for the same market is unfailingly optimistic and happy. As I've thought about this horror project, I've considered a short "afterward," for lack of a better term, thanking the child for going along on the harrowing journey in the book but reminding the reader that we can enjoy the vicarious scares that come with grim stories while still recognizing that the world is a beautiful place. I haven't thought through the exact wording yet. I'm not even sure it is needed or desired. What do you all think?

In general adults tend to underestimate kids' readiness for dark things I think. Lots of children's books are creepy and grim. I think Neil Gaiman has said that kids tend to be enchanted by his works for children, while they tend to horrify adults. Many authors have become very successful writing grim stories for kids, ex. Lemony Snicket.

With kids, you have to be really careful not to patronize them or talk down to them. Being a kid comes with endless frustration about being a person with whole and valid thoughts and feelings, but always having them belittled and not taken seriously, and never being able to decide for yourself what you're ready to explore or be curious about. Just because of that I'd be wary of the afterword idea. Middle grade is around the age where "everything is always okay in the end" stops being satisfying because a lot of kids are starting to explore more complicated things in their own lives. At a very early point we develop a side of ourselves that needs the darkness/scariness/awfulness of the world validated and needs a safe place to explore it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I just had a weird thought and figured I would share.

Go back to what I suggested, earlier, with the monster who turns and addresses the reader directly. Do the thing where you thank the reader for reading this horror stuff. But, make that part of the horror, too.

Reader, I see you. It's brave of you to flip through these pages. Not everyone has those kinds of guts. Especially as it brings you to my attention... I'll be seeing you soon.