• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Weird West

D. Gray Warrior

Troubadour
Anyone here attempted to write in a Weird West setting. The Weird West is basically the fantasy version of the Wild West, so there may be supernatural creatures like ghouls or things like magic with a Wild West aesthetic.

My current story takes place in such a setting that happens to also be post-apocalyptic and there is wild magic with people who possess anti-magic abilities.

What about you?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
One of the 'Top Scribe' challenges was dedicated to this theme. We had a couple of pretty good entries, one of which was expanded to full novel length.

I am entertaining the idea of a 'Frontier' type setting outside of the known kingdoms and territories, but with a bit of a twist... these places were historically occupied/inhabited and basically abandoned. And never "reclaimed". There are only rumors why this happened. Some places evidence truly lost civilizations, others more contemporary. I wanted my characters to be able to rely on these 'ghost towns' and ancient ruins for raw materials-level survival in the extreme wilderness. Not quite the dusty, high noon gunslingers and cowboys western setting. More like the "west" of fur trappers, traders, rogues and indigenous or isolated peoples in vast uncharted wilderness. Well, charted at some point but not reliable anymore due to the passage of time. It just so happens that's where some of the truly bizarre creatures and ancient magics reside.

In some of the 'fringe' territories, I think I could have fun reinventing a gunslinger-type vibe in a mostly lawless community. Ok, more of a sword-slinger spell-caster vibe but there will be plenty of honorable rogues and scoundrels.

I haven't gone full weird west yet, but I have at least one pulp series I haven't quite gotten into that follows the main character around the world. It's not quite weird west as it's just a bit around the time after the wild west. There's gunslingers, trains, early automobiles, planes, cowpokes and others in that area. Given it's a pulp style story world, it comes with all the insanity that goes with them. So it's kind of weird west I suppose.