• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Samsara

This is an older movie (2012) and technically not science fiction or fantasy—but I dare you to watch it and not be inspired! I did feel I was going to other worlds, but they were simply not my own tiny locality and not the people I've met in my lifetime (save a few brief flashes.)

For me: stunning, shocking, inspiring, thrilling, occasionally horrifying, and altogether quite beautiful. I could see using almost every sequence as an inspiration while writing a fantasy world.

Potential trigger warnings (which I normally would never give). There's a sequence about processing food that may be extremely horrifying for some viewers—it was for me, but it did seem to belong in this—and another sequence that is a commentary (I think?*) on the objectification of women that, though relatively brief, might be hard to watch. (At one small part in the latter, I actually didn't realize when first watching that the dancers were not women.) There is also some nudity, the sort you'd find in National Geographic magazine.

The movie's free to watch on Amazon Prime right now. I don't know if it's streaming elsewhere also.

*Edit: That bit about objectification is part of a larger sequence and seems to address the way we humans (in general or maybe some) are beginning to work on the idea of what is human by altering and/or mimicking human forms, so...?

Last edited: