• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Music that inspires your writing

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Nice! I love Stormblast (the revised version) and I'm not too fond of their new stuff.

I forgot to put Amon Amarth on the list but I listen to them when I'm in my Viking mood ]:cl>

Yeah, gotta love Amon Amarth. I saw them last year in Lawrence, Kansas. Was a great show. They came out for the encore and started Pursuit of Vikings. Everyone went crazy.

Yeah, gotta love Amon Amarth. I saw them last year in Lawrence, Kansas. Was a great show. They came out for the encore and started Pursuit of Vikings. Everyone went crazy.

I am jealous! I remember at my High School we had a spirit week and one of the days was rockstar day. So me and my friends all dressed up as some of our favorite musicians. Last year I dressed up in viking gear brought in my guitar and walked around all day playing twilight of the thunder god XD

(The year before that I came in as Abbath from Immortal just yelling BLLLLEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Sounds cool.

I didn't know any death metal bands in high school. I guess bands like Celtic Frost and Morbid Angel were putting out some stuff. My favorite bands were Iron Maiden and Candlemass. I'm old :)

I listen to any number of soundtracks. I can't listen to songs with lyrics, since it distracts me something fierce, and soundtracks have just the right amount of epicness in them. I have a playlist on grooveshark that has soundtracks from The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Last Samurai, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean, and V for Vendetta.

lizzy.d

Acolyte
I often find myself inspired by the lyrics of some songs. I've been playing Mumford & Sons non-stop these past couple weeks and could find a place for almost every one of their songs in the "soundtrack" of my novel!

In addition to all the other hard rock/heavy metal bands listed above I also like listening to a group called Turisas for epic heavy celtic rock with fiddles and barbaric chanting, check them out on you tube.

Rattlehead TVR

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Konstanz - I like that stuff as well. I see no need to limit one's musical tastes to one or two genres. I like Rancid and Fugazi, among others, as far as dubstep goes. I like Skrillex.

I like everything from classical and opera, to old country songs, alt. country, punk, metal (classic metal, power metal, death, doom, etc.), goth, industrial, some rap/hip-hop, jazz (old Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald), motown stuff (Smokey Robinson etc.), Buddy Holly, Dylan, Hendrix, hard to classify stuff like Tom Waits during the Island record years, blue, Pixies, Bjork, and so on.

As long as it is good, I'll listen to it.

Last edited:
I listen to all kinds of music, but sometimes I listen to some really old stuff, and I mean really old Blues songs from the 30s onwards when I'm in the mood.

Privid

Acolyte
For fantasy, I find that there's no better than movie and game soundtracks. Anything more specific than that preoccupies my mind and gets me to interact with the music, more so since I'm a singer, rather than just float along with it. Jeremy Soul is genius in that regard. World of Warcraft regional music is wonderful too.

Konstanz

Minstrel
@Steerpike: Skrillex is not dubstep! :mad:

I like Skrillex but he's more drum&bass on steroids. Some classify him as drumstep/filthy dub but that's making things overly complicated. I don't really care for labels myself either, I listen to all kinds of music. But it's mainly punk rock (Sum41, Blink 182), rap metal (Hollywood Undead, Linkin Park), rap (Eminem, Professor Green), Dubstep/Drumstep/D&B/... (Skrillex, Doctor P, Tek One). Pop music (Simple Plan, Train, Mattafix) just to name a few.

I listen to the same music whether I'm writing or dancing (for some reason I like dancing. And drinking. Probably a connection between both). I don't see a reason to listen to classical music to get the muse going.

I kind of agree that Skrillex isn't really dubstep. He is a little bit of everything but not one thing exclusivley. I very seldom listen to dubstep when I write but if I do I would be listening to Ajapai, Wonkap, Datsik, Excision, and Rusko.

For fantasy, I find that there's no better than movie and game soundtracks. Anything more specific than that preoccupies my mind and gets me to interact with the music, more so since I'm a singer, rather than just float along with it. Jeremy Soul is genius in that regard. World of Warcraft regional music is wonderful too.

Jeremy Soule is a legend! I'm actually in the middle of uploading some of his stuff on youtube.

Azza

Scribe
Just a thank you to everybody that's posted! I've been looking at some of the songs and artists that have been mentioned and now have a vast playlist on YouTube which I play when writing! I'm glad this thread had generated discussions and I hope it has helped some of you in finding music that inspires you!

Vanya

Dreamer
I don't usually listen to music when I write, or else my mind takes off on different things instead of focusing on what I'm writing. :eek: I tried heavy metal when I'm in a fight scene but usually it ended up becoming too violent than what I originally intended. No music for me.