• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasia: The World of Terra

Akira444

Scribe
Fantasia is a new fantasy series that I started working on for the past year and I've already written eleven chapters for the story. Before all that, I had written down detailed descriptions of the world, its inhabitants, the magic system, and plots for each story. Today's entry will be about Fantasia's main setting, the world of Terra.

Cosmology: The universe is composed of nine planets (Mercury, Venus, Terra, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus and Pluto), with the sun sitting in the center of the universe. Massive crystalline spheres composed of an incorruptible substance called aether holds each of the nine planets, the sun and the moon, all within a sphere of fixed stars. The air of the universe is called Pure Air, which is a purified form of gas vastly different from the air that living creatures breath in Terra. Though breathable, if one doesn't allow their bodies to acclimate to inhaling pure air, it can cause a person to remain focused on a single thought to the point of obsession and eventually drive them mad.

Creation: The universe was created by two gods, the God of Light and his twin sister, the Goddess of Darkness. They were simply called Brother Light and Sister Dark. Light is the god of light, creation, and vitality. He represents the physical aspects of the universe that governs vitality, giving life to forms that have none, and is responsible for creating the sun, planets, animals and plants. Dark is the goddess of darkness, destruction, and imagination. She represents the spiritual aspect of the universe that governs imagination, creating form out of nothingness, and is responsible for creating the stars, moon and the fae. They each gave their own creations a place in the universe, before settling on Terra to create life in the form of animals and fae. Together, they combined their energies to create humanity.

Geography: Terra consists of seven continents-America, Azteca, Europa, Asia, Africa, Australinea, and Antarctica. There are also seven bodies of water, the Fuscian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, the Ceres Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Cascada Ocean, the Aurelian Sea and the Spring Sea.

Inhabitants: Terra is home to humans, faeries, and a multitude of flora and fauna. Humans were the creations of both Light and Dark, born from the earth from the combination of their energies infused into the planet. They dominate most of the world, and many communities coexist alongside the fae. The fae are spiritual beings who embody aspects of life and nature. They are energy beings who take on the forms of human myth, legend, folklore and beliefs to better communicate with humans. They are separated into three categories based on nature, intelligence and power: The Bestia-Class, the Nature-Class, and the God-Class.

Culture: Terra is home to many cultures, both human and fae. Human religion is mostly dominated by the Church of Harmony that worships the gods Light and Dark. This church is further separated into two sects, the Lumen Sages and the Umbra Witches, who each worship their respective deities as the male and female aspects of the universe. There are also many human communities that still worship the fae as gods, namely those of the God-class. Magic also has a prominent place among the people of Terra; once seen as a powerful art, it is now a widely used practice by countries all over the world that is both utilized and studied for a myriad of purposes.

Technology: Over the course of the series, Terra's technology will range from Industrial Revolution levels of technology to modern day Earth levels, and finally to futuristic levels. Furthermore, another aspect of Terra's technology is magitek, technology that uses a special form of crystalline energy called Dust to mimic the effects of magic.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
How much is this actively based on Real World?
Using names that are already in use [Mars, Asia, Pacific Ocean etc.] bring with them expectations. If your "Africa" isn't going to be an analog for the Africa we already have, then I'd use a different name... Even if it an obvious derivative... Afrika...

Akira444

Scribe
How much is this actively based on Real World?
Using names that are already in use [Mars, Asia, Pacific Ocean etc.] bring with them expectations. If your "Africa" isn't going to be an analog for the Africa we already have, then I'd use a different name... Even if it an obvious derivative... Afrika...
It's a mix between fantasy and real world stuff. And I've been juggling around alternate names for places like Africa and stuff, so it's a bit of a work in progress.

elemtilas

Inkling
Looks good so far!

I'm glad to see they have enough sense to realise that Pluto is the ninth planet out. Though, does this world have more than the Usual Nine or is that it?

Akira444

Scribe
Looks good so far!

I'm glad to see they have enough sense to realise that Pluto is the ninth planet out. Though, does this world have more than the Usual Nine or is that it?
That's just it. I based the universe here on how the Greeks viewed the universe in ancient times. Nine planets within a sphere of stars, the only difference is that the "Earth" isn't in the center of the universe.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Except the ancient Greeks didn't have nine planets. They had seven, and that was counting the sun and moon. Knowing there is a ninth planet requires some pretty advanced technology and a particular kind of thinking.

Just something for you to consider.

elemtilas

Inkling
That's just it. I based the universe here on how the Greeks viewed the universe in ancient times. Nine planets within a sphere of stars, the only difference is that the "Earth" isn't in the center of the universe.
Excellent. Are they the same (actual) planets or are there differences in physical nature and orbital location? Same for Terra's continents: same shape or different?

While skip.knox makes a valid point re Greek astronomy and the mid-range planets (those that can't be seen using naked eye observation), there could be other reasons why Terrans can see distant planets. Do they have telescopes? Or are those planets not so distant?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Jupiter, as Father of the Gods, objects to being referred to as "mid-range." :)

Akira444 can absolutely arrange the solar system to suit. But if one says one is basing something off of something else, it's good to be correct about that something else. It's also worth considering whether the imitation needs to be complete. In this case, is there a need to have the trans-Jovian planets at all?

Akira444

Scribe
Except the ancient Greeks didn't have nine planets. They had seven, and that was counting the sun and moon. Knowing there is a ninth planet requires some pretty advanced technology and a particular kind of thinking.

Just something for you to consider.
I know the ancient greeks didn't have nine planets, I had to do some research while working on the cosmology. And people know that there's a ninth planet because of space probes launched in modern times to further explore the universe.

Akira444

Scribe
Excellent. Are they the same (actual) planets or are there differences in physical nature and orbital location? Same for Terra's continents: same shape or different?

While skip.knox makes a valid point re Greek astronomy and the mid-range planets (those that can't be seen using naked eye observation), there could be other reasons why Terrans can see distant planets. Do they have telescopes? Or are those planets not so distant?
The planets are similar to our own planets to a degree. They all have breathable atmospheres, but the planets get colder the farther out from the sun you get. Pluto is an icy world, while Mercury is hot enough that you'll need extensive protection from the immense heat of the sun to survive. For now, let's just say that Terra's continents are the same shape until further notice. I've been going back and forth on the geography and I can't draw for shit.

And as for the Terrans knowing about distant planets, it's due to their technological advancements. Telescopes, satellites that can move in the pure air that fills the universe, rockets strong enough to break through Terra's atmosphere, it's all the result of trial and error as human technology grew. And that's not counting humanity's growing interest in mixing magic with technology to fill in the gaps that science can't fill.

Akira444

Scribe

Akira444 can absolutely arrange the solar system to suit. But if one says one is basing something off of something else, it's good to be correct about that something else. It's also worth considering whether the imitation needs to be complete. In this case, is there a need to have the trans-Jovian planets at all?
I designed this universe because I've always had reservations about having just one planet harboring life floating in the void. I mean, I have plans on future books that take place in the far future, and mankind branches into space. I didn't even consider having other planets in this universe until I read Celestial Matters, a science fantasy story that takes place in a world where ptolemaic astrology and Aristotelean physics is real science. Hell, I originally designed Terra to be a flat world.

elemtilas

Inkling

Ha! Well, Skyfather can jolly well tell his woes to Sedna and Eris and poor Farout!

Exactly. I don't disagree! I suppose I read it more liberally, that the general arrangement is what was based on the Greek model, rather than the specifics.

I did the same for certain cultures in Yeola, though based more on Sumerian nomenclature than Greek. I gave up on fixing the actual number of planets, but (modern) astrologers know about the existence if not the natures of somewhere between eight and thirty three planets. The ancients knew eight, the rest are modern additions, pace Marduce.

elemtilas

Inkling
For now, let's just say that Terra's continents are the same shape until further notice. I've been going back and forth on the geography and I can't draw for shit.

That's okay. Early geographers couldn't for shit either! Just draw wiggly lines and randomly placed monsters!

And as for the Terrans knowing about distant planets, it's due to their technological advancements. Telescopes, satellites that can move in the pure air that fills the universe, rockets strong enough to break through Terra's atmosphere, it's all the result of trial and error as human technology grew. And that's not counting humanity's growing interest in mixing magic with technology to fill in the gaps that science can't fill.

Now that's quite an interesting departure from real world astronomy! In my world, there are a number of local planets with varying breathable atmospheres, but not a whole universe of breathable air! That's pretty cool.

Akira444

Scribe
Ha! Well, Skyfather can jolly well tell his woes to Sedna and Eris and poor Farout!

Exactly. I don't disagree! I suppose I read it more liberally, that the general arrangement is what was based on the Greek model, rather than the specifics.

I did the same for certain cultures in Yeola, though based more on Sumerian nomenclature than Greek. I gave up on fixing the actual number of planets, but (modern) astrologers know about the existence if not the natures of somewhere between eight and thirty three planets. The ancients knew eight, the rest are modern additions, pace Marduce.
It's okay, I'm not offended or anything. What's your world like? Can you link me to your thread, because it sounds interesting.

Akira444

Scribe

It's okay, I'm not offended or anything. What's your world like? Can you link me to your thread, because it sounds interesting.

Akira444

Scribe
Be sure to check out my other thread, Fantasia: The Inhabitants of Terra, for insights on the people who live on Terra.