• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How is my magic system?

ClearDragon

Troubadour
The basic magic system for humans I have right now.

Magic is like a programing language, meaning anyone can learn it but not everyone is good at it.
To cast spells, spiritual power is needed. It is gained by meditation and also some people naturally have more.
Magic can do some amazing things, but it can not fully resurrect the dead and can't make someone young forever.
People can use magic to live forever, but it's the most complex spell and you still age....
Depending on the spells power and complexity, doing it wrong can cause anything from harmless sparks to instant death. Wands and staffs are not strictly necessary to cast spells, but some people find it easier to do so. Magic can transform objects, but the mass stays the same. Magic can enhance the natural properties of matter. Example a very well made sword can be even better with magic, but a poorly made sword won't match the others performance with or without magic.

There are several types of magic, most of them can only be used by certain beings.
Human magic is very versatile but not as powerful as other types.
Nature magic can only speed up and control natural events, it can not do anything that does not naturally happen.
Demonic magic does not protect or heal. It can grant amazing power, but at the cost of sanity and morality. Example someone using demonic magic can become superhumanly strong, but will start to have homicidal thoughts and fits of rage.
Dragon magic is as versatile as human magic and the most powerful magic. But only dragonkind can use it and it requires more spiritual power. Also dragon magic is not subject to all the rules, it can make a human forever young, but the person will take on dragon characteristics and slowly turn into a dragon! It still can't raise the dead though.

Well, what do you think?

Got a lot of the classics in here. It's terrific that you have clear limitations with forever young and resurrection. I also like your example with the sword; this way magic doesn't devalue good craftsmanship. If anything, well-built items are even MORE valuable now than they were without magic.

My only concern is there are several popular elements in the system. But that's only a problem if it bothers you and I like what you have so far. How concerned are you with having a revolutionary system? Is this system for a book, a game, graphic novel, or something else?

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Got a lot of the classics in here. It's terrific that you have clear limitations with forever young and resurrection. I also like your example with the sword; this way magic doesn't devalue good craftsmanship. If anything, well-built items are even MORE valuable now than they were without magic.

My only concern is there are several popular elements in the system. But that's only a problem if it bothers you and I like what you have so far. How concerned are you with having a revolutionary system? Is this system for a book, a game, graphic novel, or something else?

Thanks for the feedback.
This is for my future book. I've still got to add some things to this though, I actually forgot some of the things I made up for my magic.
Like it takes many years to get really good with magic, and that's why most magic users are very old. I also forgot to add devine magic. I'll write about that later though.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Ok, here is an update of my magic.
All types of magic except nature magic have some necromancery. It is not possible for these types of magic to actually raise the dead, but zombies can be created and it's possible to communicate with the dead. The spells required for this are extremely complex.
Objects can contain spells and can be used by any complaint sorcerer. The spell inside the object will remain unless the object is damaged beyond repair.
There is a limit of how much magic can repair, the object in question must be basically intact for a quick repair. A shattered object all the pieces must be available to put back together. If a piece is missing, magic can't replace it. If an object holding a spell is damaged, the spell leakes out and if the object is not repaired fast enough the spell is gone.
Divine magic is not restricted by the regular rules of magic, it can fully resurrect people!
However it can only be used by angles and chosen miracle workers. These people are living saints who have led the most pure lives possible and have complete faith.
So, how is that now?

Sounds good. It's got a lot of the classics of old-school epic fantasy and D&D. From what I can see, you've got an easy to handle magic system that will provide a low learning curve to gamers and fantasy nerds and be accessible to new readers as well. It will need some work if you want it to feel wholly original, but there is nothing wrong with using well-loved tropes. In fact, I know some readers that get frustrated at how hard it is to find a classic feeling magic system like this one.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Sounds good. It's got a lot of the classics of old-school epic fantasy and D&D. From what I can see, you've got an easy to handle magic system that will provide a low learning curve to gamers and fantasy nerds and be accessible to new readers as well. It will need some work if you want it to feel wholly original, but there is nothing wrong with using well-loved tropes. In fact, I know some readers that get frustrated at how hard it is to find a classic feeling magic system like this one.

Thanks, I kinda don't like "modern" magic systems, especially the ones where the person has to absorb magical energy from somewhere.
The idea behind mine is that the magic user is self sufficient and doesn't need to gain energy from the world or whatever.

Akira444

Scribe
Dude, you're style of magic almost fits mine. Everyone learning magic and drawing power from within instead of from outside. I like story like that too. It's always been a pet peeve of mine of stories having the typical "magic gene" that seems to be common in today's fantasy stories.

Dude, you're style of magic almost fits mine. Everyone learning magic and drawing power from within instead of from outside. I like story like that too. It's always been a pet peeve of mine of stories having the typical "magic gene" that seems to be common in today's fantasy stories.
ClearDragon See what I mean :)
Lots of people, myself included, get really caught up in a system or story being completely original and that just isn't necessary. If it's something that people have liked in the past, there will be an audience that just wants more of what they love.

Akira444

Scribe
ClearDragon See what I mean :)
Lots of people, myself included, get really caught up in a system or story being completely original and that just isn't necessary. If it's something that people have liked in the past, there will be an audience that just wants more of what they love.
That's so true. Common tropes or elements can be good too if done well.

Akira444

Scribe
Also, how is magic categorized in your world? Is it divided into classes, arts, separate branches like transfiguration and stuff? I wanna read more about it!

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Also, how is magic categorized in your world? Is it divided into classes, arts, separate branches like transfiguration and stuff? I wanna read more about it!

I'm not sure, I haven't yet written about my fantasy world! It's actually part of a larger universe I'm creating and I'm at other parts right now.
I was imagining it as a programing language where you learn different functions and commands.

Good concepts. Well thought out. You might need to have a guide handy while writing though as it is very complex. What about a translation into the world. Is one magic more powerful or is it used in different ways to make it more usable and powerful. I guess what is the hierarchy of your world based on the magic. Who are the leaders? How do they maintain their power. Is there conflict between factions? How are they separated by geography or dimension or however. Just some ideas. Otherwise it looks good.