• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myers-Briggs

Insolent Lad

Maester
I hadn't done this in years—and don't recall what I got the last time—but came out as INFJ-T (turbulent advocate) this time. Interesting, I guess, but I don't know how valuable. I think maybe the 'Big Five' personality test is more useful.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I also think that this test in specific is rather responsible in its analysis by telling people the downsides of their traits, and as such don't think it actually is trying to please all sides as Devor states. Each type is presented with positives and their respective negatives, and it is up to the individual to decide how much attention and care they lend to both.

That's not really what I was saying. It does present the pros and cons for each type. But you still couldn't say being an Advocate is better than being an Architect based on Myers-Briggs. The sixteen types are presented as equals of each other. An honest and complete personality test would suggest, just for example, when a person is too impulsive and it's holding them back in life. Or if someone is just too lazy to ever achieve their specific dreams. Myers doesn't look for that kind of thing. It presents sixteen personalities as balanced because both sides of the traits it tests for are relatively innocuous. That's why the test is extremely limited in what traits it looks for. That's also why the test is so popular.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Sure but are these 'worse' traits not simply extreme forms of the negative traits presented by the test? It might not measure how bad one is doing, but it does showcase areas that may or may not need these improvements.

I do also like the Big Five test, but to be honest... it just lacks the flair of Myers-Briggs. Getting an archetype and talking about it is fun, though perhaps I am alone in this.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I do also like the Big Five test, but to be honest... it just lacks the flair of Myers-Briggs. Getting an archetype and talking about it is fun, though perhaps I am alone in this.

Ohh I hate the big five test. It pretty much flips it around and only looks at traits that have a positive or negative. It's designed for psychologists working with their patients so whether you're a thinker or a feeler doesn't really matter so much to your therapy.

But, I was talking about the StrengthsFinder 2.0 test before. A few the possible strengths include Arranger, Deliberative, Analytic, Strategic, and others. You'll note that those four strengths are all kind of similar points on the same line of mental traits. By doing it this way it can give you results that are still upbeat (there's mostly pros and and a few cons listed for each), but are also more nuanced and honest. Yes, you might go, "Ohh deliberative, that's not really a good one." And when I took it at my old job the boss was really looking to chat with everyone who turned up "strategic." They're not equal. Some people won't have any intelligence-based traits turn up. That's just reality.

Myers-Briggs, on the other hand, doesn't even look at intelligence-related traits. It's hard to put "smart" and "stupid" on a spectrum and still say the resulting personalities are equal or balanced. And again, the Big Five Test doesn't really care because whether you're suited for cutting grass or being a scientist isn't really the question with maintaining your mental health.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I can see the use in that in the professional world, but outside of it such judgement is merely debilitative. For quickly understanding yourself or another person, and understanding/comparing personality traits, you don't need to know whether they're 'suited for cutting grass or being a scientist'. It has nothing to do with who they are, but instead describes their utilitarian worth. Seeing as this is a casual discussion on an online forum for fantasy writers, I really don't think it matters to measure intelligence or job proficieny.

I have to say though, judging a personality test for its utilitarian worth is suuuch an INTJ thing to do ;)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I can see the use in that in the professional world, but outside of it such judgement is merely debilitative. For quickly understanding yourself or another person, and understanding/comparing personality traits, you don't need to know whether they're 'suited for cutting grass or being a scientist'. It has nothing to do with who they are, but instead describes their utilitarian worth. Seeing as this is a casual discussion on an online forum for fantasy writers, I really don't think it matters to measure intelligence or job proficieny.

I have to say though, judging a personality test for its utilitarian worth is suuuch an INTJ thing to do ;)

But I didn't say anything about worth...? Being smart enough to be a scientist, or better suited to cut grass, is still part of your personality, if you want a complete and accurate picture, isn't it?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
But you did. The worth I'm talking about is not moral, it's related to the workforce. If someone is ill-suited to a certain field, their utilitarian worth within that field is nihil. And regarding intelligence, I don't think it is. Someone's intelligence (although I don't believe it is a singular measurable thing), might enhance someone's ability to interact within the world, but it doesn't make them kind or creative or whatever. Just more intelligent.

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
But you are. The worth I'm talking about is not moral, it's related to the workforce. If someone is ill-suited to a certain field, their utilitarian worth within that field s nihil. And i don't think it is. Someone's intelligence (although I don't believe it is a singular measurable thing), might enhance someone's ability to interact within the world, but it doesn't make them kind or creative or whatever. Just more intelligent.

I don't understand what you're getting at. The intelligence aspect was only one example of the kind of trait Myers Briggs can't measure because it would skew the 16-type balance. Strengthsfinder includes strengths that cover kindness and creativity, as well as diligence, people skills, and more. MyersBriggs just isn't a very robust system because it tries to keep the traits balanced. If someone's personality leads them to be kind and inclusive, MB doesn't cover it, because the other end of the spectrum would suggest having personality types that are mean and selfish. That's a weakness in their methodology.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
My point is that this depth is not necessary outside of the professional field when the goal of the test is simply to understand yourself and others in a positive, constructive light. If I want to know and be able to understand the rest of the website in a general light, I don't need to know whether they are suited to a career in the natural sciences.

From what I recall, I generally test out as INTP. There is another, with a single different letter, I sometimes get, but I don't remember which. (Maybe INFP?)

Since astrology has been brought into the conversation...Heh, I used to be "into" astrology, decades ago, and I always thought it interesting that I was both INTP and Aquarius, given the similarities. For what it's worth.

Reactions: Ban

Firefly

Troubadour
Whether or not it's flawed depends on what kind of information you want it to be giving you. For me, I like seeing insight into the different ways people might think. I agree that Myer-briggs is dated in a clinical sense and it doesn't measure a lot of value-sensitive things, but I don't want to take a personality test to find out what I'm good at, so I don't really care.

Apparently I am a Protagonist ENTJ-A. Not sure what the A is for but it sounds ominous. I will be starring in the next novel you write...ha ha!

I've taken this test quite a few times and I've always tested as an INFJ. That probably explains why I love to write, yet hate to share anything I've written.

Firefly

Troubadour
I've taken this test quite a few times and I've always tested as an INFJ. That probably explains why I love to write, yet hate to share anything I've written.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of writers who are INFJs. I was surprised to learn that was one of the least common types, I feel like you guys are everywhere...