• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Are You Playing Now?

X Equestris

Maester
Dipped my toes into Empire Total War's grand campaign today; I've done the Road to Independence tutorial, the late start United States campaign, and the Warpath campaign, but I've never played the real one.

Settled on Prussia, since it looks like an enjoyable challenge. Only two territories, cut off from each other, with two much larger powers on my east and south and all their protectorates on my west.

Austria attacked by turn 4, but they were foolish enough to go after Poland-Lithuania too. I repulsed a small invasion force, and an alliance with the Poles allowed me to invade Silesia. Things are going much better than expected.

I made the horrible mistake of trying out Conan Exiles on PS4. It was one of the free PS Plus games a couple or so months ago. I'd downloaded it at the time then ignored it.

But now I'm hooked! Basically, imagine Minecraft but gritty. It's a survival game, with lots of collecting of resources and building. The world, the struggle, the art, are more interesting than Minecraft's.

There are some cons. You are basically thrown into the game without any sort of tutorial, so you need to Google various aspects of the game to learn how to do things and make things. There's a lot of resource collecting; a number of things require an inordinate amount of resources to build. You also end up having to build a number of things just to build something else later. So the progress seems slow. It's a time killer, for sure. But I'm pretty hooked. (I play the single player version, not the online MMO version.)

Mythopoet

Auror
I have to put in a plug for FFXIV. The recent expansion Shadowbringers dropped and so I returned after a hiatus due to busy life. I've always thought that the writing/storytelling in this game is better than any other MMO I've played and previous expansions were all very enjoyable and compelling with their story. But this expansion's story line... it just completely blew me away. The story was SO GOOD I would just be sitting here with my jaw dropped and chills going up and down my spine in many of the scenes. The major villain of the expansion was so well written I can't even.... He was easily the best example of a villain made sympathetic in his motivations but NOT justified in his actions that I've ever experienced. All of the character development in this expansion including the development of the player character was just stellar. I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone who loves good game storytelling.

The only game I have made time for of late is an ongoing RPG campaign with a party set in Monte Cook's Numenera system. It's been years since I've played anything online or looked into actual video games. They just seemed to gobble my time like mad! I turned to roleplaying with a group and we always play in person, once, maybe twice a month and that works well for my game fix for now. :)

Jun Peng

Dreamer
I can't stop playing Darksouls. At first I thought the game was too hard, or not fair, but one day in Anor Londo it just started clicking and next thing I knew I was hooked. I've tried playing other games, but I always end up finding myself back in those haunted lands trying new things and gearing up for invasions.

ifearsnowmen

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the PS3. I've played through it several times now and it's a great experience each time. The very definition of a hidden gem. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy games.

I got that one because it looked like something I'd like. I liked it, then Ellen on Outside Xbox recommended it too. Agreed completely. Though I mostly like screwing with the stories in it.

Yora

Maester
I can't stop playing Darksouls. At first I thought the game was too hard, or not fair, but one day in Anor Londo it just started clicking and next thing I knew I was hooked. I've tried playing other games, but I always end up finding myself back in those haunted lands trying new things and gearing up for invasions.
I just finished completing Dark Souls 3. Now I am trying to complete Bloodborne.

One thing I really enjoy about them is how they give you interesting new perspectives of how a fantasy world can be, even with just generic components.

Jun Peng

Dreamer
I love the aspects that Darksouls brings to Fantasy worlds. I especially love the themes it explores. From the visions of Aldritch to the fate of the Watchers of the Abyss, even the conclusion to Slave Knight Gael, Darksouls presses very difficult issues and never gives you a chance to really be a hero. That to me is amazing.

Gurkhal

Auror
Just played through the Dark Omen map in the Winds of Magic expansion to Vermintide 2. And damn, that was a blast! My and my friend had a merry time cutting down rat-, north- and beastmen by the dozens. :D

And for your information, a halberd may not look like much. But its a wonderful weapon.

Until my computer went on the fritz, I was playing Terraria. At the moment I'm not playing anything - my heart isn't in it.

I know it's not really fantasy so my answer may be irrelevant.

I have now done some games of Hitman. Agent 47 as controlled by me, much like any assassin in the AC games has me failing stealth and running amok and hitting people with wrenches and hammers and changing disguises every few minutes.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Borderlands 3 with wifey-poo. That girl does love her shoot-em-ups. Her rather stodgier husband is playing games he's played for years: Battle for Wesnoth, and Panzer General 2.

Yora

Maester
I've recently started playing Skyrim again, and I don't understand why I am still playing. It'e always the same enemies and all places look the same, and story and NPCs aren't worth mentioning.
This should have started to get boring after 10 hours, but I still keep going back to it. Even though I have no expectation that there will be anything new or different ahead.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I tried the PS4 version of Skyrim some time ago, just out of curiosity.

The graphics are alright, nice world and cool dragons, but after clearing the first dungeon and exploring the world a little I quickly lost interest on the entire thing. I understand why so many people love this game so much, but it's just not the right game for me. I very much prefer something with prettier characters and a better combat system, like Bloodborne and AC Syndicate.

At the moment I am playing a lot of Destiny again!

Reaver, which city borough is your favorite area in AC Syndicate? What is your playstyle? Do you prefer Evie or Jacob? Also, which do you think is the highest spot in Syndicate's London, the top of Saint Paul Cathedral or the top of Victoria Tower?

You should check out my Evie Frye Pure Evil series of gameplay videos! XD

Yora

Maester
I love playing older games that I played before. I mostly have old games, many of which I have played half a dozen times now.
But they are all games that have great story or rewarding gameplay. I can't pick a single thing about Skyrim that I find praiseworthy.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Great questions Sheila! It’s hard to pick just one favorite borough because they all have their unique qualities but if I really have to choose, I’d say London is my favorite. Mostly for the exploration aspect but also the views and the action I can get into.

I love all of Westminster! It's not only the wealthiest and prettiest area of Syndicate's London, but also it features the greatest historical importance and I can climb Victoria Tower and the freaking Big Ben. That little park below Big Ben is one of my favorite areas in particular, and sunsets are often totally wonderful there.

Visiting the cloister of Westminster Abbey is one of my favorite side activities as well, and the parks! I love Saint James Park and Green Park too, they are super beautiful especially at daybreak.

My play style is a mix of stealth and straight up brawling because I switch between Evie and Jacob when the situation or mission requires it. However, I do prefer playing as Evie. She can’t take as much damage but she’s faster with the sword cane (my preferred weapon), stealthier (especially when she gets the ability to remain undetected as long as she doesn’t move) and she’s just a lot fun to play.

I just complete the missions as fast as possible, often by sheer brutal force alone even when it's not necessary, and collect the rewards. I really don't give a damn about the main story, since in my imagination Evie and Jacob are just a pair of bloodthirsty maniacs that want to take over London for their own personal criminal activities and gains.

My greatest enjoyment in Syndicate comes from free exploration and the constant murdering of Blighters, Police officers, the Grays (I am not exactly sure of what they are!) innocent civilians and the Queen's Guards alike, all have to suffer Evie's wrath! I love throwing dynamite around, and I also kidnap enemies in order to drown them at Saint James Lake.

Sometimes, even Rooks fall as fatal victims of Evie's constant atrocities.

Oh, and carriage madness... This is the best game ever!

As far as what I think is the highest point in AC Syndicate... That’s a tough call. I’d say they’re probably pretty much even but I’d give a slight edge to the top of Victoria Tower.

A tough call indeed! According to real world sources, the very top of Saint Paul Cathedral hits 111 meters above the streets, while the top of Victoria Tower's spire scores a bit over 120 meters tall. This would mean that Victoria Tower is the highest point of Syndicate's London, but there are terrain factors involved too so in the end I do not know exactly.

I'll have to check with Google Earth altitude measurements.

One thing is certain: Visiting the higher parts of Victoria Tower gives me some vertigo for real, and if a Leap of Faith was possible from the very top it would be a hell of a jump!

AC Syndicate is really a great game.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
This is Evie Frye Pure Evil Chapter 2!

My favourite chapter of the series so far, but Chapter 1 is great too and perhaps the best way to start watching my AC Syndicate videos. You can find a lot of other Gameplay videos of mine, in my channel.

Subscribe to my channel, and I'll subscribe to yours! XD

I am going old school on a couple of games. Final Fantasy 3 on Snes and Baldur's gate on the pc. I found an updated version that will work on windows 10. I am loving this game. I dont have a dnd group anymore so playing on the pc is the next best thing.