• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Physical books redux

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Here's another thing you'll never see happen with an e-book.

Yesterday I had out my Roget's Thesaurus. I rarely use it--as in years go by--but every once a great while it proves more fruitful than thesaurus.com does. So I was looking at it. At the very front pages, a place I almost never visit.

And there, on the pages with substantiality and insubstantiality, state and circumstance, was a receipt. A hand-written receipt from my dentist, dated 1973. For fifteen dollars, which is what the good doctor let this poor student pay monthly for years. It reminded me not only of the good Dr Harvey Wixman, but also of a time when doctors ran their own billing operations and could make individual decisions to let a poor student pay fifteen dollars a month, never raising the amount, never charging interest, because that was his decision to make.

An e-book will never contain an unexpected memory.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I have a bookmark that I got from my sister, and it has a picture of my niece from her first ever "school' photo, when she's 2 years old, or something equally tiny. I mostly read ebooks these days, but stuff like that encourages me to keep reading physical books too. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
A few years ago I opened a book I hadn't read in years and out fell a picture of an old girlfriend. The book had come from the [most] former girlfriend but I had honestly forgotten the photo existed. Unfortunately, I was showing the book to my [then current and now ex] girlfriend. No amount of explaining convinced her that it wasn't a secret memento or something...