• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[2019] : What kind of laptop do you use to write on?

What is your brand of laptop(s)?

• Lenovo

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • HP

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Macbook (Apple)

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • ASUS

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Acer

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
As of 2019, what kind of laptops does everyone use to write their articles / stories on? I'm curious to know as I might get a new laptop for writing myself down the line.

All inputs and replies will be appreciated! :happy::cat:

Insolent Lad

Maester
Asus Aspire, which I do not particularly recommend—rather dislike the keyboard. I never intended to do serious writing on a laptop but it's sometimes nice to ensconce myself in the recliner and work on it.

Vaporo

Inkling
Dell G7. Bought it because I like games and want a computer that will last a while without slowing down. No major complaints, but it occasionally freezes at random and has sharp corners that dig into my arms if I try to rest them on the edges. For writing I'd prefer a mechanical keyboard, but I'm fine with the laptop keyboard.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I own three HP laptops which are great, but for serious writing I use a Skytech Archangel desktop gaming computer named Morningstar. I've never tried writing on my phone, but I have Office loaded up on it and it should work.

Dell G7. Bought it because I like games and want a computer that will last a while without slowing down. No major complaints, but it occasionally freezes at random and has sharp corners that dig into my arms if I try to rest them on the edges. For writing I'd prefer a mechanical keyboard, but I'm fine with the laptop keyboard.

I prefer a mechanical keyboard myself. Now gotta save up to buy one! :LOL::D:p

Mithnen

Dreamer
Well, I freely admit that I'm a little strange. I make my own books which I then handwrite my stories in and then using Speech-to-Text software I transfer them to my laptop. It's a Toshiba and I have no idea how old it is.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Pretty much any laptop will handle what a writer wants, so it's really more about more subjective things, such as how the keyboard feels. I definitely would recommend against buying a computer without first getting hands on. I'm a touch typist, and the small things do make a difference. The loss of a 10-key, for example, also means I can no longer type Windows alt-character strings to get foreign language symbols. The Lenovo I just bought made the perverse choice of requiring me to hold down the Fn key to access cursor movements like Home and End, PgUp and PgDn. Similarly, they chose to make media controls the default on the Function keys. So, F2 turns down volume. I have to do Fn-F2 to do a rename. I will be more careful next time to take note of what I as a writer regularly want to do on my keyboard.

Of course, for extended writing, I go to my desktop, with its full, mechanical keyboard, better screen, better seat (no small consideration!), and so on. The laptop is more for other things, such as writing forum posts about laptops.

Vaporo

Inkling
Pretty much any laptop will handle what a writer wants, so it's really more about more subjective things, such as how the keyboard feels. I definitely would recommend against buying a computer without first getting hands on. I'm a touch typist, and the small things do make a difference. The loss of a 10-key, for example, also means I can no longer type Windows alt-character strings to get foreign language symbols. The Lenovo I just bought made the perverse choice of requiring me to hold down the Fn key to access cursor movements like Home and End, PgUp and PgDn. Similarly, they chose to make media controls the default on the Function keys. So, F2 turns down volume. I have to do Fn-F2 to do a rename. I will be more careful next time to take note of what I as a writer regularly want to do on my keyboard.

During bootup you can usually change a setting so that the instead you have to press fn to adjust volume and home/end/f1/etc. are the default:
https://www.howtogeek.com/235351/ho...unction-keys-are-f1-f12-keys-or-special-keys/