• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[2019] : What kind of laptop do you use to write on?

What is your brand of laptop(s)?

• Lenovo

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • HP

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Macbook (Apple)

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • ASUS

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Acer

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Maybe I should just go find a junk shop and buy a old typewriter.
Typewriters are kind of heavy. :p

EDIT: on a more serious note here, get something that's cheap, and that runs the software you need. Most likely, you'll adapt to what you're using pretty quickly.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
i use a fake “laptop” and just use an iPad pro with Scrivener for writing. This happened when I gave my Macbook a drink of water and it drowned on me.

I have an iPad Pro with a keyboard case through work. I like it pretty well, except for navigating the file system.

Almost. :p
Having a pint at the pub. It's a bit warm this time of year, so they don't light the fire and just put a candle there instead.

Which part of the world are you in? One of the high latitude areas or near the tropics? :geek::)

I'm at the tropics myself and we're having unusually rainy weather for this time of the year!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I have an iPad Pro with a keyboard case through work. I like it pretty well, except for navigating the file system.
The file system is odd, but for writing I haven’t had an issue... except for some sort of scrivener-dropbox error that butchered a bunch of editing on a 200k+ novel... yeah, that was ugly. I really don’t know what happened, but I’ve altered my workflow and have things rock solid now.

I've only recently started using a laptop again, after a major computer crash. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series. It's not too bad.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...4 years and 2 jobs later, and I am still using the same laptop. Guess is worked out.

11 years, 1 degree, 5 house moves, 2 job changes, 1 child and my MacBook Pro is still going strong! Still have my Adobe suite CS6 working in full form just as long as I don’t upgrade to the dreaded OS Catalina. The battery life has dwindled, but that is to be expected. I use Pages.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I finally got a new MacBook Air on the cheap side, just the M1 chip. No rides on the Suzuki for this one... that's how the last one got croaked, heh heh. The things are tough, but only SO tough.
11 years, 1 degree, 5 house moves, 2 job changes, 1 child and my MacBook Pro is still going strong! Still have my Adobe suite CS6 working in full form just as long as I don’t upgrade to the dreaded OS Catalina. The battery life has dwindled, but that is to be expected. I use Pages.

I finally got a new MacBook Air on the cheap side, just the M1 chip. No rides on the Suzuki for this one... that's how the last one got croaked, heh heh. The things are tough, but only SO tough.
My 2013 one is tough, the newer Apple models seem to be more flimsy, but it’s a way for them to rake in even more profit!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yet my phone breaks its screen every time it hits the ground. One thing I dont miss from fixing home PC days is Macintosh. I never want to see one again.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I haven't broken a phone or laptop in years... knock on wood. Lots of clunks, because I'm a brutal, neglectful sort, but only dents and scratches so far, heh heh.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I am absolutely brutal on my stuff, and I still have never dropped a phone or a laptop or cracked a screen. My cats did it, once. Dragged my laptop right off the desk and busted a corner off the case. It still worked fine... until I fried the HDD. Things are too delicate. Now I have a desktop that's a Skytech Archangel named "Morningstar" and I'm getting ready to update and upgrade everything from the motherboard on up. I love it. It's probably the last computer in existence with both a functioning disc drive and a 3.5 drive slot. It's also of monstrous size and covered with stickers. Bring on the cats. :D

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I cracked/took chunks out of the BACK of an iPhone 8 without breaking the front glass... that impressed people, you could see the shiny circuits, but the danged thing went for another 2 years.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Still the same ASUS laptop I had last time. The battery is now completely dead and out of the ASUS. It works slightly better with no battery, as long as I don't accidently pull out the power cord. It is getting slower and slower by the day but still plodding on. Oh... And it disconnects itself from the Wi-Fi once in a while.
Curtesy of lapsed COVID arrangements to "Work from Home" I have a very nice extension monitor that I can use when my work laptop isn't plugged in.