• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Language and Alphabet

MrNybble

Sage
I collected a few things like that when making a language from scratch. With my odd way of thinking, I made it much harder than needed. Took the most complicated parts of known languages and put them all in one. Even added a few new elements too make it more exotic. Linear alphabets are so common so why not a three dimensional version. Not practical in the least.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yeah, a language from scratch to me is like making chemistry from scratch. I don't mind fiddling and twiddling, but inventing whole cloth? That's not a project, that's a career!

MrNybble

Sage
That's why I cheat. Made the basics with vague disruptions on how it works. Like the reader really wants to learn the exact details about a fictional language from a fictional race. I just give enough detail to keep the story going. If it becomes popular (like Klingon) I will find a linguist to flesh it out.

Using existing ones like you pointed out does save a lot of time.

I'm creating a language from scatch - a hybrid language; and I didn't make much progress as i couldn't decide just how much of the language to create. I'd love to have the whole thing created, and have it be something others can study but then i'll end up losing sight of my story. I might follow your method for a bit.

That's why I cheat. Made the basics with vague disruptions on how it works. Like the reader really wants to learn the exact details about a fictional language from a fictional race. I just give enough detail to keep the story going. If it becomes popular (like Klingon) I will find a linguist to flesh it out.

Using existing ones like you pointed out does save a lot of time.

MrNybble

Sage
When making a language for a fictional race and/or culture you should consider real life influences. Is there physical things that would make this new language different? I had to think about this with dragons or other fantasy races that don't have the normal human mouth structure. Language can be other than sound or written. Got sign language and body language. There are others like scent, smell, or even telepathic. Not all languages must follow the human standard. Be creative as some can communicate through dreams, feelings, or other ways not available to most mortal creatures.

Thank you. I'll be sure to take note of this. My race at the moment are an elven/human race. Some of them communicate and heal through song. I'm still working out some of the details - esp as this series, and 2 other series, are all set in the same universe. So a lot of my time working on all of the series involves a lot of world building - so that series. I can avoid inconsistencies across the