• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The "Daily" Worldbuilding Prompt. Chapter 3

blondie.k

Minstrel
Question 145: What's the most common comfort food?
So these are more of delicacies than comfort foods but this is what I found. (Had to do some research to answer this! :) ) Acquacotta, Sea urchins, Escargot, and Percebes.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 146: You'll be sent on a one-way trip to your world by tomorrow afternoon, what will you be packing? (Will it be enough?)

blondie.k

Minstrel
Question 146: You'll be sent on a one-way trip to your world by tomorrow afternoon, what will you be packing? (Will it be enough?)
Well, since I don't own any Cyromnean money, I guess I would pack some clothes that are inconspicuous such as this.
2004-c895f146632bc2ba3abd1b3c6efbd70b.jpg

And food that won't spoil easily. So kinda like rations: dried meat, dried fruit, and like some cheese and bread. And I would pack some weapons but not guns as that would cause a major issue in Cyrom. Other than that, bedding, journals, medical supplies, and my lucky pendant. Everything else I could need, I'd get from Cyrom.

It was nice knowing you. And the internets. Clothes, obviously, my guns, little though they'd actually do. Maybe a shovel and a pitchfork. There's not really too much I could bring without some hope of it not only being a one way trip, but a rather more literal one way. If I'm lucky than I'll hit up with some common housing and find a job and hopefully get by. And never, ever step out of the (questionable) safety of where I end up at. Hope I land near the orcs.

Miles Lacey

Archmage

I'll be packing a lot of dysentry tablets as it will take time to adjust to the rich and spicy food. I'd take books so I can show the people in the world I'm moving to where I came from. I'll need rugby balls, cricket balls, wickets and cricket bats so I can introduce rugby union and cricket to these people. And I will need my shots as I will be going from an oceanic temperate climate where the weather changes every few hours to a tropical one. Being a week away from 50 getting work won't be easy because they still use typewriters and filing cabinets over there. Contraceptive pills will be useful as I could show them to chemists over there and let them figure out how to make them. Once that is done I'd become the Bill Gates of contraceptive pills! I'll be rich!

As for clothes etc I'll buy them when I get there.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 147: Spas, massage parlours, wellness centres, hot springs and more. Where do your folk go to relax their bodies? (Are these civic or religious? Who instituted them? Who keeps them tidy? Are they profit-oriented, a charity or a public good?)

Question 147: Spas, massage parlours, wellness centres, hot springs and more. Where do your folk go to relax their bodies? (Are these civic or religious? Who instituted them? Who keeps them tidy? Are they profit-oriented, a charity or a public good?)

Surprisingly, spas and massage parlors exist. So do hot springs. Most are profit oriented and I don't think there's too much religious aspect unless the drow are involved. Though those instituted are either heavily drow, elves from the Celestial East or humans who have an understanding of what exactly leisure time is. Granted, the only named spa I have right now is called The Pink Lotus, which sounds more like a classy brothel then a spa. It is headed by drow, so it's to be named that way.

As for who keeps them tidy? They're called workers. They get paid to do the job. Or volunteer to do it. And given some standards for cleanliness, tidiness and when to ignore those happy endings that happen from time to time.

Miles Lacey

Archmage

Virtually all temple plazas have Meditation and Relaxation facilities which consist of public baths, message facilities, cold rooms (for the summer) & saunas (for the winter), gyms, exercise yards, hair and beauty salons, barbers and spas.

These facilities are gender neutral except for the following:

1. Facilities located near temples dedicated to Abulu are strictly male only.
2. Facilities located near temples dedicated to Ufrudit are strictly female only.
3. Facilities located near temples dedicated to Dyunisus are reserved for those who are viewed as transgender.

These facilities are not necessarily run by the temples. Some are run by local health authorities. Others are run by religious and non-religious charities.

Temple plazas have always been places of trade, public gatherings and outdoor worship so having Meditation and Relaxation facilities here made practical sense.

There are also stand alone facilities operated by local authorities or private operators in areas of natural beauty or areas like hot springs.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 148: What's the biggest 'What if?' in your world's history, and how would your world look if things had gone the other way?

Question 148: What's the biggest 'What if?' in your world's history, and how would your world look if things had gone the other way?

The Lich Wars is the single biggest 'what if', but as it is just the ending of a long chain of wars, revenge and blood spilling that can be traced back thousands of years it has to start with a really early divergence. And even further back in order to stop the Elder of Life from being corrupted and therefore not being imprisoned within the City of Life within the jungles of the Southern Reaches. Fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) there are alt universes where these things have not happened. Though there are just as many where the undead succeeded, leaving dead universes. Another big 'what if' in this chain is if Solans (later the Lich titled The Singer) had not gone to the City of Life on a quest. It is one of the big catalysts but not the only one, because the Corruption had already started finding ways to help warp the powerful of the world. It honestly didn't take much, as the nature of mortals did most the work. There are a lot of 'what if's' for Eld. And a lot of them have been answered.

WooHooMan

Auror
I guess it would be the end of destiny. As in, destiny and fate once existed in the universe but now it doesn’t. For most people, it’s likely a comforting idea to think that there is some grand plan to the world and for everyone’s lives but there isn’t one.
I have no idea how the setting would look if destiny was still a thing. No one really knows what destiny’s grand plan was.

Miles Lacey

Archmage

What if the Tarakan Empire had gone with Operation E during the Great War?

The Tarakan Empire turned the Great War into a World War when they launched an invasion of Terra Australis to the south. Terra Australis had an agreement with the Occidental Republic that in the event of war with the Tarakan Empire the Occidental Republic would come to its defence. Tarakanese diplomats knew this and repeatedly told the Emperor not to support plans to attack Terra Australis (Operation A).

By attacking Terra Australis the Tarakan Empire effectively guaranteed the Great War would be a World War. It also forced the Tarakan Empire to fight a war on land with an army that still relied heavily upon infantry and horses.

Historians ask what might've happened if the Tarakan Empire went with Operation E and seized all the islands of the Great Western Sea instead.

For starters the Occidental Republic would've stayed out of the conflict as it had no obligations to defend those islands. The Tarakan Imperial Navy was the world's largest navy so no other country would've risked taking them on at sea. It also would've allowed them to totally dominate trade in the Great Western Sea. This would've given the Empire the ability to dictate trade terms with Terra Australis, giving them virtually unlimited access to the mineral wealth of that country.

Why was Operation E rejected?

The Tarakan Empire's political and military leadership under-estimated the economic, strategic and political worth of the shipping routes of the Great Western Sea and the island chains within that area. They also assumed the Occidental Republic would not be able to mobilize as quickly as they did and that the Occidental Republic would not risk attacking the Tarakan Empire's continental regions when their military was already embroiled in a bitter war with the Orissa Empire.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Question 149: I'm approaching the end of my stay on your world. In what manners could I attempt to return to earth? (Would/Could I be successful?)

The biggest What If has to be the Battle of the Road, where the legions of the Nesan invaders were thrown back. But if the coalition had been just a little more fractious than it already was, it could have gone another way. However, what would become Linese was still cut off from resupply from home and at the end of a long supply line. Truth be told, even with victory they wouldn't have been able to conquer much more. However, it would have secured their conquest of the Neisham Hills and they wouldn't have had to fight over them in the centuries afterwards.
Especially since the Irelian Empire's decline would most certainly have been hastened by this defeat.

Question 149: I'm approaching the end of my stay on your world. In what manners could I attempt to return to earth? (Would/Could I be successful?)
A couple of ways. You could try to find some remnant of Inza magitech, but figuring out how to get that to work would require grasping reality in 8 dimensions. Or you could try heading for ruins of Eban, where the skin of reality is at its thinnest. Though you're more liable to end up in the demon realm than earth.

Reactions: Ban

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat

You would try to pass into one of the many different "otherworlds" and from there look for an entrance to earth.

The seelie otherworld is a parallel hollow world accessed through a small number of secret gateways under the ground. First you'd have to find one, then travel a looong way through the dangerous and chaotic otherworld, and then come out from under our north pole.

Different otherworlds may be shorter, longer, wilder, or more dangerous. It may take things like a blood sacrifice or a battlefield to open their gates, and on the other end you may have to wait for WWIII to break out for an opening to appear on earth. It may take a celestial alignment, or an agreement from the gathered spirits, or a volcanic eruption. Each otherworld has its own magic system and its own conditions that apply.

You just sent me there on a one way trip, so who says you can successfully escape? Besides, why would you? You're now a decently successful cheesemonger and part time crime novelist who set up a nice little bit of world traveling and sometimes food critic. You have sent assassins on people and taken dangerous college courses, mostly by simply going to college. The easiest way, as is always, to try to leave, is to go to the drow. As long as you know about their portal network. Best case scenario is you end up Nexus Earth or follow the other version of you that get's to eat even more food and can enter and leave at will.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
You just sent me there on a one way trip, so who says you can successfully escape? Besides, why would you? You're now a decently successful cheesemonger and part time crime novelist who set up a nice little bit of world traveling and sometimes food critic. You have sent assassins on people and taken dangerous college courses, mostly by simply going to college. The easiest way, as is always, to try to leave, is to go to the drow. As long as you know about their portal network. Best case scenario is you end up Nexus Earth or follow the other version of you that get's to eat even more food and can enter and leave at will.

I'm ever so slightly jealous of what Ban in Eld has managed to achieve, but I estimate my chances of continuing survival over there rather low ;) If you win at roulette ten times in a row it might be time to head home before you lose at the eleventh.

Miles Lacey

Archmage

Like the Hotel California you can check out any time you please but you can never leave. So now that you have arrived you won't be going back. Besides, why would you? The food is richer and healthier, there's no distractions like TV and Internet, the people look better and there's magic. And airships. Airships, damn it!

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I'm afraid that coming up with new questions with the same scale as the previous ones has become rather difficult without falling back on topics that have already been discussed in our 150 questions. Because of this, I've decided to make this chapter and this question the last ones in the Daily Worldbuilding Prompt. I like clear endings. Thank you all for engaging in the threads, I've loved reading all of the answers from all your lovely worlds from Hron trees to blood-thirsty elves to delightful tropical islands and more. I hope my questions were of some help to you as well.

Question 150:
As a final departure, what would you like to say about your world? What makes it so special, interesting or even homely? What keeps pulling you back in?

Last edited: