• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The "Daily" Worldbuilding Prompt. Chapter 3

Question 150: As a final departure, what would you like to say about your world? What makes it so special, interesting or even homely? What keeps pulling you back in?

The insanity and the ever coming change that looms over it. And despite the blood thirsty elves, it's a world that will get better. Get invaded by aliens and go into Science Fantasy and perhaps even beyond that. It's a culmination of idea's and things since I started writing (only a bit more poorer then I do now) and some of the themes and the like that end up eventually crossing all of them. It's a crazy, oft mad and terrifying place with it's own beauty to me. From the deadly Fea forest to the farthest reaches of the Red Sands desert, the Everember Isles to Paradise and the (sometimes homicidal) moons above it is to me a fairly amazing place.

Also, the food always sounds really good in my head and there's lots of it. Even if sometimes it's best just not to ask.

Reactions: Ban

Gotis

Scribe
Question 150: As a final departure, what would you like to say about your world? What makes it so special, interesting or even homely? What keeps pulling you back in?
My world started as an idea to combine every mythological and fantasy creature into one setting. It's been paired down quite a bit from that. My favorite thing about my world is that it's a big place spanning the globe with a cross section of human cultures which forces me to be more inventive with my fantasy cultures.

Thank you for all you've done. These are amazing questions. They showed me how much more there is to build!

Reactions: Ban
My world, or region I should say, is all about the aftermath. The world ending threat is centuries past, as is the crisis of two cultures clashing. Now, all of that debris is swirling around and interacting. Life didn't stop, though the epic story did.

blondie.k

Minstrel
I'm afraid that coming up with new questions with the same scale as the previous ones has become rather difficult without falling back on topics that have already been discussed in our 150 questions. Because of this, I've decided to make this chapter and this question the last ones in the Daily Worldbuilding Prompt. I like clear endings. Thank you all for engaging in the threads, I've loved reading all of the answers from all your lovely worlds from Hron trees to blood-thirsty elves to delightful tropical islands and more. I hope my questions were of some help to you as well.

Question 150:
As a final departure, what would you like to say about your world? What makes it so special, interesting or even homely? What keeps pulling you back in?
As sad as this is, I hope that we all have gotten ideas and good use out of all this. There are many reasons that my world is special, but I think the number one reason I continue to come back is that it's home. There's something about Cyrom that feels like home and despite all the terrors and possible harm it holds, it feels warm. It feels welcoming. It feels like my own. And I hope that others will feel that way too.

WooHooMan

Auror
I'm afraid that coming up with new questions with the same scale as the previous ones has become rather difficult without falling back on topics that have already been discussed in our 150 questions. Because of this, I've decided to make this chapter and this question the last ones in the Daily Worldbuilding Prompt. I like clear endings. Thank you all for engaging in the threads, I've loved reading all of the answers from all your lovely worlds from Hron trees to blood-thirsty elves to delightful tropical islands and more. I hope my questions were of some help to you as well.

Question 150:
As a final departure, what would you like to say about your world? What makes it so special, interesting or even homely? What keeps pulling you back in?

You’ve done this forum a great service, my friend.
This is one of the few threads I’ve enjoyed reading more than I’ve enjoyed contributing.

To answer the question: this setting I got was meant to just be an amalgamation of things I like. The setting is just candy to me: it might not have a lot of substance but I love it.

I guess with all settings, I keep coming back because I think they’re cool and interesting. Not because they have a gimmick that appeals to me on some kind of deep intellectual level.

Miles Lacey

Archmage

Even if I have to dodge the occasional roc, the spicy foods do send me to the toilet until my stomach settles down, there are the occasional rogue mages and secret police making notes about what I might say when I get up on a soap box in the temple plaza and call for the establishment of a republican form of government, not all the ladies are as good looking or the men as handsome as in my head and it's wet, hot and humid much of the time it sure as hell beats my real life of living in a caravan (not by choice) with bugger all to show for fifty years of my life.

These questions have made me think about my world building and made the world of my work in progress a more in-depth world than even I would've thought possible. Thanks for all those questions. Loved them all.

Vaporo

Inkling
All right! I can finally get around to answering the rest of these questions!

Question 140: What's the biggest ongoing crisis?

The return of the Fel from the planet Gen. The Fel have been unable to attack Dor for a millennia and a half. However, since Antisans started growing Hron trees their avenue of attack has reopened and allowed them to raze the city of Talive. Each attack degrades the barrier between the worlds, and eventually the Fel will be free to roam the world and destroy whatever they please.

Question 141: Opening organs or watching the patterns of birds. How do/did people claim to augur the world, the divine and the future? (And does any of it work?)

Not something I've ever really thought much about. Some superstitious Untians may believe that the position of the planets and the phase of Gen during a person's birth determines their destiny. In Kumbaska, fortune telling is frowned upon by the Amul. However, some people still believe that burning incense in a closed room and paying attention to the subsequent fever dreams can actually be prophetic. Of course, none of it actually works. Seeing the future is impossible, with one exception.

Azizzi, god of Time, is the only remaining cosmic being in my world aside from the Generals, but has been rendered nearly powerless since his brother severed away his memories. He is capable of seeing many possible futures, but is unable to tell which one will actually come to pass. He tries to steer the world in whatever small ways he still can, but is ultimately still basically just a bystander at this point.

I wish I had been talking about a different writing project I'm working on, since in that setting all magic is based on seeing the future. There, it is done by injecting oneself with powerful mind-altering drugs.

Question 142: How ought a member of the nobility behave in broad lines? (And how ought a member of royal nobility behave?)

Generally speaking, not too different from what you'd expect. Be composed, professional, able to hold your own in an argument. In the past, fighting prowess was more highly valued than it is now, but tournaments are still held in which every major family usually sends at least one fighter. Specific to Untia, nobles are generally expected to be able to hold their liquor and know their limits when it comes to alcohol. To be seen sloppy drunk when outside your own household is beyond shameful.

The royal nobility is much the same, but with generally higher standards relative to their position of power.

Question 143: A, B, C, easy as a 1, 2, 3. What are the alphabet and counting systems like in your world?

• What sounds are used? Clicking sounds? Growling sounds? Sounds humans can't pronounce?
  • What's the base number in counting systems? 10 like ours, or 12 like the Sumerians, or...
  • Has the zero been thought-up yet?
  • How did the alphabet and counting systems come about, and are they unified over your world? If so, how?
Yet another question that I have desperately avoided answering in any sort of detail! Untian mathematics is fairly advanced, reaching at least to Calculus and Differential Equations. Kumbaska, much less so, but they've certainly invented the idea of a zero. All counting systems in my world are base-ten. I will not question this. You will not question this. Questioning this makes both our heads hurt. We are moving on now.

For now, all languages in my world have sounds identical to those used in English unless I decide otherwise for flavor purposes. Perhaps I will change that in the future, but that would be an endeavor far beyond the scope of this thread. Besides, that would require, you know, actually learning something about linguistics.

Ah! Written language! Finally, something I can talk about. When the Unts first came north, they had no written language. However, they knew of written language, and soon the smart people of Untia developed a writing system of their own that has persisted nearly unchanged to this day. Written Untian is entirely pictographic, where each word is represented by a unique image. While it is based on ancient spoken Untian, it is almost totally disconnected from any modern spoken language. Written language is very consistent across all of the Untian nations. When Untians from different nations meet, they will often communicate not by means of a human translator, but by written word. There are a few thousand base glyphs reminiscent of Egyptian hieroglyphs, each of which communicate vague, simple ideas. Words like "animal," "run," "big," etc. More complicated glyphs are made by recombining these base glyphs into new ideas. If a specific set of sounds must be communicated, then they combine symbols whose spoken equivalents in Ancient Untian sound similar and hope that somebody at the destination can speak Ancient Untian. The name "Robert" might be the glyph for "Rob" placed next to the glyph for "burnt."

Forward-thinking individuals have also invented phonetic languages, hoping to do away with the confusing mess that is written Untian, but none have yet to catch on.

Question 144: What's the range of colours your fantasy folk can observe? (The standard red/yellow/blue? Do any of your folk miss one of these like dogs for example do (only see yellow and blue)? Do any of them see ultraviolet or infrared? Does your world contain 'colours' unknown in ours? If so to any of these, how do the folk benefit from or mitigate their circumstances?)

Sorry, nothing to say here. Colors are perfectly normal. Closest thing would be a person learning to exit their physical body and exploring the world in spirit form. But, if they perceive colors at all then it is just their mind trying to process the raw, unadulterated perception that a spirit form grants. Some Grat may observe higher or lower frequencies than humans can perceive, but that's about it.

Question 145: What's the most common comfort food?

YES! FINALLY! A food question to which the answer is not hron fruit!

Deep-fried, grease-slathered, butter dripping chicken is probably the most common comfort food, probably followed in close second by lard pies, which are exactly as disgusting as they sound to everyone except the people who eat them religiously.

There is also a stereotype among Untians that Antisans, when stressed, rush to the nearest dairy farm and suckle directly from the cow. Gross exaggeration of course, but Antisans do tend to eat a lot of cheese when they've had a long day and need to calm down.

Also, ice cream is now possible, thanks to the recent invention of steam power and refrigeration along with the recipe being imported from Halgol. So, expect to see ice cream parlors popping up in wealthy neighborhoods.

Question 146: You'll be sent on a one-way trip to your world by tomorrow afternoon, what will you be packing? (Will it be enough?)

Simple. Every science, math, and engineering textbook that I can get my hands on. I'll sell my "inventions" and become obscenely rich. Also, a lot of guns and ammunition to deal with muggs. I'd also make sure to include a manuscript containing all of the eldritch secrets of the universe so that I can work to prevent its inevitable destruction. Who knows. I might even "invent" enough stuff to beat back even the Generals.

Question 147: Spas, massage parlours, wellness centres, hot springs and more. Where do your folk go to relax their bodies? (Are these civic or religious? Who instituted them? Who keeps them tidy? Are they profit-oriented, a charity or a public good?)

Spas and masseuses do exist, but are usually reserved for the wealthy who can afford them. They're almost always a business, but I suppose that a religiously oriented Untian hot spring or spa could exist.

In Kumbaska, a regular massage is almost considered a necessity of life, almost on the same level as a comfortable bed. Everyone is taught from a young age how to correctly give a massage. Family and friends will usually massage each others' backs after long days of work.

Vaporo

Inkling
Question 148: What's the biggest 'What if?' in your world's history, and how would your world look if things had gone the other way?

History is nothing but a long chain of "What if"s. What if Lee Harvey Oswald has missed? What if Hitler had been successful at art? Tiny changes have huge consequences.

Buuuuuut... I think that the biggest one is "What if the Alstalia found the fatal error in in their spell and were not killed when they created the Barrier Between the Worlds."

If the Alstalia were to survive, the Generals would still make a pact with the Fel, since there would be no disadvantage in doing so with their low remaining population. However, the pact would probably take a very different form. The Amulkine empire would not collapse, at least not at first. Near the end of the war between the Fel and the Amulkine empire, a few Alstalia has some grandiose ideas of being worshiped as gods. Eventually, these ideas could gain momentum, and they may use their magical powers to set themselves up as such.

However, eventually they would need to replenish their power. Since that Alstalia had trapped fifty thousand Fel, they would at first have a nearly unlimited supply of magical unsundo to work with. They would create unimaginable great works that would hold the empire together for a time, but eventually their power would wane as they slowly killed their supply of trapped Fel. So, they would make near-indestructable armor and weapons and take down the Barrier so that they may venture onto Gen to capture more Fel.

Then, the Generals would strike. Since the Alstalia had released their supply of unsundo back into the world, the population of Fel would be able to recover to its pre-war levels unassisted. When they take down the Barrier, fifty thousand Fel would rush across the bridge and onto Dor so that they could ravage the world. The Alstalia would probably be killed in the initial charge, but if they weren't then there would be little they could do against the shape-shifting hordes at this point. The world would belong to the Fel, and by extension the Generals, unless Raldan the Immortal were to find a way to calm the enraged Fel and undo the damage they had caused.

Question 149: I'm approaching the end of my stay on your world. In what manners could I attempt to return to earth? (Would/Could I be successful?)

Well, if such a way of returning existed (it probably doesn't), it would be in the cosmically incomprehensible unreality of the Land of the Gods.

To get there, you must escape your current plane of reality. Unfortunately, most of the exploitable holes have been patched, save one. The Deep Pit of Tule. Located along the north coast of Tule, the Deep Pit is exactly what is says on the tin. A really, really deep pit about thirty feet across. Each year, thousands of Tulvians gather at the Pit to worship the Generals. Many will jump in the pit in hopes of catching a glimpse of the Generals. Most fail and land in the sea cave at the bottom, but a few succeed since the pit is actually a hole in reality itself.

Jumping in is, for obvious reasons, actually a terrible idea. Instead, bring climbing equipment and rappel down the hole. The Tulvians won't mind. They'll just think you're some sort of weirdo. Rappelling down is less likely to get you out of reality than jumping, but is also infinitely more repeatable. It'll probably take you a few weeks and several dozen attempts, but you'll get there eventually. Look for cracks and crevices in the side of the pit. They'll usually be obvious and you'll be shocked you never noticed it before. Climbing through one of these will usually take you outside of reality... or just get you stuck in a crack. It's not an exact science, ok?

Once you're through, you'll probably perceive the Land of the Gods as either an enormous cavern or a flat plane with mountains in the distance. Behind you there will be something you perceive as a massive fortress or mountain, out of which you just crawled. Somewhere nearby, there will be ten tall dark figures staring at the fortress. These are the Generals. Do not go near them. They are aware of the hole out of which you just crawled and it is too small for them to fit through, but if they notice you they will still interrogate you for whatever information they can get. You will also be dragging a heavy weight along behind you. This is your physical body. It is useless here, but for obvious reasons you should not discard it, no matter how tempting it may be.

Beyond that, you're on your own. The Land of the Gods is an eldritch landscape full of incomprehensible abominations and imperceptible nightmares. Navigate at your own risk, mortal. I'll offer two other pieces of advice.

For one, never look up at the sky. Nothing good ever comes from looking at the sky in the Land of the Gods. The Land of the Gods is all that exists. The sky contains all that is beyond our petty ideas of whether or not they exist, and is therefore alien on a scale that not even the Land of the Gods can match. Much mightier beings than you have been driven mad (or perhaps to true sanity) by looking at the sky. Then again, perhaps the sky holds your key to getting home.

And second, if you ever encounter what you perceive to be an empty well, perhaps with scorch marks around its base, turn around and walk away. Do not attempt to look in it. Do not attempt to draw water from it. Flee. It is a bad place. You will find nothing there.

Well, I've asked this question to myself many times. Do I keep coming back simply because it's my first well-developed, fleshed-out world? Or, is there something more. In many ways, what I've created is a fairly standard fantasy world. But, I just can't bear to think of abandoning this project or starting over. Really, I've put all the things I find fascinating into this world. Cohesive magic system that meshes with the world's history? Check. Eldritch abominations? Check. Magic so intense that it warps the very foundations of logic itself? Check. Evil Plants? Check. Steampunk? I mean, when I started I actively did not want steampunk in this world, but somehow a bit of it managed to sneak in there anyways. So, Check. Easy to set a story that involves nobles in without having to write a bunch of tedious hard-to-follow political subplots? Check (My villains tend to use scheming, politics, and bureaucracy as their primary means of evildoing. Tells you what I think of political stories).

Overall, I've just done everything I could to make this world interesting in my eyes, so yeah. I find this world fascinating and want to explore it more.

Last edited:

Avadyyrm

Scribe
I don't actually have Giants In my world. I have Trolls, and mountain trolls are the biggest among them, with Some standing 12 feet tall. Also Gore Wurms are about eighty feet long, and they are about twenty feet in diameter. Gao worms are smaller, with their body fifteen feet in diameter, and are fifty feet long. Dragons are rare, with the biggest ever at over one hundred feet, and fifty feet tall. Vamyyr are around ten feet tall. However, some demons, and abomination, can be taller, but most people do not believe in them and, very few records of them exist, and even fewer people have seen a glimpse of them. There are rumors of very large creatures hidden deep in the earth, and and sea, but if they exist they are never seen.

Avadyyrm

Scribe
I don't actually have Giants In my world. I have Trolls, and mountain trolls are the biggest among them, with Some standing 12 feet tall. Also Gore Wurms are about eighty feet long, and they are about twenty feet in diameter. Gao worms are smaller, with their body fifteen feet in diameter, and are fifty feet long. Dragons are rare, with the biggest ever at over one hundred feet, and fifty feet tall. Vamyyr are around ten feet tall. However, some demons, and abomination, can be taller, but most people do not believe in them and, very few records of them exist, and even fewer people have seen a glimpse of them. There are rumors of very large creatures hidden deep in the earth, and and sea, but if they exist they are never seen.
That was a reply to question 101

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 102: Skål, Proost, Cheers and Salut. What words do your folk utter when toasting? (And what other rituals do they have? Do they raise the glass? Tap it with a spoon? What would be appropriate at what occassion?)
The most important, or respected person will taste the drink/food first, and declare whether or not it is good. If it is not good, the host suffers great shame. Even among warring clans, or nation's, this is (almost) always respected. A speech may be given before or after tasting, and if done after, always with a gracious thanks to the host. "It is good" is a common utterance among people.

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 103: Can you tell me about a minority culture in your world, whom are largey unknown by most of your world's residence?
Question 103: Can you tell me about a minority culture in your world, whom are largey unknown by most of your world's residence?
The free orcs. They are despised by most men, because they are orcs, and by most orcs, becuase they choose not to live like most orcs, doing deeds for the Shadow. They however, are a good people, but rough

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 104: Do the elderly retire? If so, what would be the stereotypical way someone would spend their old aage? If not, why not?
Depends on the culture. For example, among the orcs if you become old (which is rare), you will be sent out into the world to die, or fed to beasts, or abominations. Among humans, depending on the nation, the elderly are cared for, but some despise the old. In Valaacar, the elderly are respect greatly,

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 106: Hangovers. How hard does the alcohol hit your fantasy races, and what cures have they concocted for it? (Bonus: Do the cures actually work?)
There is of court, the common rum, beer, or other alcoholic beer made by locals. The best are by dwarves. There is a version of weed, which I just forgot the name of, as well. Hangovers depend on the race, and how much drunk. Dwarves are hard to get actually drunk, but can get boisterous quickly. Remedies are sold everywhere, and a common tactic of inkeepers is to get a person drunk, then sell them a remedy. Some remedies include special plants, or tonics, but the effectiveness of those vary. Magic can be used as a remedy as well, though one must be well versed in magic to be able to accomplish that task, and few Spell Weaver's do, they regard drunks as dirt.

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 108: From elephants to fighter fleets. What's the most awe-inspiring form of transportation around? (Is it awe-inspiring due to its size? Its sound? Is it state-of-the-art or long-established?)
Gao worms. These beasts tunnel through rock quickly and provide great passage through mountains. When burrowing a new passage, they can carry troops in their very long stomach. Only orcs use them however. The most awe, or fear inducing sight is a great stoney heard erupting from the earth, and forces of the Shadow pouring out of it. Also, large realm portals can be achieved, with a point in space turning, and the other realms reflection in that space, but no sound come from this. Otherwise, hoof it

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 109: Hush... we shouldn't be seen talking, but let's say I wanted someone to 'disappear' in your world, who should I ideally approach? (And who would I actually approach?)
Their are several assassin's assassin's guilds in my world. They are are known, but never found. Usually you must know someone who knows someone. But an easy way to find someone to accomplish your task, is go to a local bar, order a drink, and wait. Someone will approach you, though it depends on how much they think of your purse, and their skills may not be that great. The most well known group is Deaths Pale Hand. They will approach you, if you are a position of wealth or power, and let you know their services are available, and how to contact them. If you do not follow any rules they set on communicating with them, they will "disappear" you. Deaths Pale Hand, is the most accomplished, and powerful "guild" in the world. They do not take sides however. There are rumors that Ermanthia is major place of their residence, but they are only rumors.

Avadyyrm

Scribe
With that ghastly business out of the way...

Question 110: What's a typical autumn meal? (Bonus: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?)
Anything hearty, and warm. Spices are very prevalent. Chicken roasts, bread, gravy's, soups, beef, lamb, biscuits, and pies. Pumpkins do not exist.

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 112: If I decided to move to your world, and you wanted to keep me out, what fact would you bring up to scare me off?
The Shadow realm is attempting to take over the realm of Light. You might be killed because you didn't say the right thing before you took a drink. Wars are brewing all over the world. Depending on where you come in, you could become a slave, or conscripted to fight in a war hungry state. You might be killed by the unknown. The world is coming to a state where it will either barley survive, or it won't. And there are no places to hide. There may be Lish beautiful places, but they are few, and often times deadly. Or it would be deadly for you to try and get in, depending on your status. It's a very hard cold works here

Avadyyrm

Scribe
Question 113: Can you give me a rundown of some of the more peculiar military traditions found in your world? (And what's the reasoning behind them existing?)
Not sure if I'm at that point yet. There isn't necessarily anything strange in how things work...yet. I just haven't added it yet. At least not that I can remember right now.