• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

List of Good Code Names

ShadeZ

Maester
Hey all,
I'm looking for a list of fairly generic code names such as, King, Wolf, Hunter, Shadow, Grizzly Bear, Warrior. They should be middle ages fitting code names.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Busy Unicorn, Haunting Wing, Rich Lotus, Dazzling Wolf, Exotic Phantom, Cuddly Hammer, Death Ninja, Hazel Dancer, Grizzled Carbine, Crazy Author, Flawless Dragon, Proud Serpent, Murky Fiddler, Fresh Bagpipe, Bad Maple, Daring Duster, Enraged Falcon, Slow Hercules, Sore Bee, Handsome Wasp, Bronze Sun, Major Lancer, Swift Centurion, Frost Rose, Fuzzy Shark, First Watchman and many many more, thanks to this:

Code name generator

My answer is probably gonna change depending on the context. Are these code names specific to a group? Do they represent the function of the members, or are they personality based? Or is it just commonplace in the setting for people to have such names?

LadyErynn

Dreamer
Green Pigeon, Red Rooster, Grey Wolf, Shadowling, Meat Sack, Whirlwind, Bud Light (or any beer brand), and Papa/Mama Goose

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Huntsman, Grifter, Archer, Bowman, Brigand, Captain, Ranger, Knight, Wolf'sbane, Shogun, Samurai, Ninja, Nightmare, Assassin, Berserker, Marauder, Pirate

The code names are exactly what they classed as!

Sorry Crooks, was a bit too much not to pass up. Mother Goose has left the Nest. Repeat, Mother Goose has left the nest. Big Bad, you are a go! Repeat, Big Bad, you are a go!

Nirak

Minstrel
My thought would be to give them super common names that would be hard to identify. Tanner, Fletcher, Baker, Butcher, Tailor, Brewer, and so on. There are some medieval professions and positions you could throw in for flavor and depth as well (like Chatelaine or Seneschal). If I were giving someone a code name I'd want it to be something that wouldn't lead back to them. Like, I wouldn't want my super-ranger to be named "Arrowwolf" since that would be easy to figure out. "Butcher," though, would be somewhat appropriate but generic enough not to identify anyone with specific skills. :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
How about Cody?
I like Butcher. We could go further and have Martin, Beagle, Bear, Wolf, Swift, Farmer, etc. Fun!

ShadeZ

Maester
Side note: These names should be applicable to a feat or feats of the individual obviously.

Examples

Grizzly Bear- A huge burly warrior know to rip apart enemies or leave bloody carnage of his enemies in his wake.

Nightmare- A man known to toy and play on his enemies fears. Relentlessly haunts his targets but doesn't fight them or reveal himself till he decides to finally end the game.

Hunter- A warrior known to decisively pick, stalk and kill targets. Uses a lot of stealth, his enemies/prey rarely see him coming.

Queen/King- A natural leader. Someone with a naturally regal pattern to their movements and a grace and sophistication to their behaviour