• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Are You Playing Now?

Yora

Maester
I played Hellgate this week. That was a really well done little experience. Gave me piles of additional ideas to flesh out the supernatural elements in my worldbuilding.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Outer Worlds here, too. Great Fallout vibe without being too much like that game. Nice break from Borderlands3. Have given up on Red Dead. It just didn't engage me somehow, for all that I can see it's a good game.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Postscript on Outer Worlds, I'm loving all the sly references within the game. I've spotted nods to Borderlands and to at least two SF authors. One expedition is called "The City and the Stars" and there's even someone named Clarke associated with it. There's another called "The Low Crusade" - an obvious callout to Poul Anderson's "The High Crusade"

And many more.

After a few months of not being able to play Terraria I'll have my PC back and will hopeully be able to pick up from where I left off. One the days when my head is noisy, focusing on my building projects helps a lot.

I'd stopped playing Hearthstone much, then Blizzard came out with the Battlegrounds for Hearthstone. At first, I thought I'd hate it. So I thought, meh, I'm kinda done with Hearthstone.

Except, I tried the battlegrounds and I loved it. To the point of being addicted to it.

Weird how something can just push that button unexpectedly.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Been hooked to death on ESO. My husband bought me the game for Christmas. I have a level 40 something Bosmer Nightblade and an Altmer Dragonknight in her teen levels. I'm really, really loving this game.

Since Netflix recently adapted The Witcher into a pretty great show, I started re-playing the only good version of the video game (in my opinion, that is) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (on my PS4) with all the available DLC and I must say that it holds up pretty well after all these years.

I've had a weird relationship with the Witcher games. I have Wild Hunt and once had #1 I think, but both always bored me very, very quickly. A few hours of play was all I could manage. I've tried restarting a Wild hunt game a couple times, but it fizzles for me still. However, that was before I watched the Netflix series, which I loved, so now I might find myself liking the game. (The whole early search for Yennefer in the game meant nothing to me; now it might mean something heh.) Still, I'm not sure I'll like the game mechanics much. Plus, I have a problem enjoying open world games, sometimes, and games that can have very hard combat. (Why die repeatedly? How is that supposed to be fun?) I seem to remember always dying early in my Witcher experience—plus aimlessly wandering about in the open world, unsure of where/why to go next.

Saigonnus

Auror
I just finished the main story in Days Gone. I find the game lacking in few minor ways (not being able to swim, not able to stockpile molotovs, napalm or crossbow ammo) but overall, the story is very engaging, the characters are flawed yet believable and the world is interesting. Hordes are challenging, stressful, but a great addition to a zombie killing game. Some can be as large as 500 freakers.

Dragons Forever

Just finished the remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, awesome game.
It was one of the first video games I ever played (way back on Game Gear!).
The soundtrack alone is worth the price of the game ^^.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Been hooked to death on ESO. My husband bought me the game for Christmas. I have a level 40 something Bosmer Nightblade and an Altmer Dragonknight in her teen levels. I'm really, really loving this game.

I play that a lot. Are you on PC or console?

Yora

Maester
I am continuing my last run of Baldur's Gate after a 12 months break. Man, this game is looong... Even when you already completed it six times, you can still put 100 hours into it to make it to the end.
Being 21 years old and based on 2nd Edition AD&D, the game is also clunky as hell. What I really want to play is the second game, which I think I finished only twice. Once when it came out in 2000, and once again when the expansion came out in 2001. and Because of that, I played the expansion of the second game only once, over 18 years ago.

Since Baldur's Gate was what got me into fantasy (reading Lord of the Rings was okay but had not made me pick up anything similar) and it just gotten 20 years old last winter, I wanted to play through the whole thing one more time. Now I am back on the horse and progress is looking good. Only the big expansion dungeon left (which will probably take a while) and then it's only the endgame left. I finally have all the side content done.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Been sick with the flu. Our go-to while ill is Peggle. Yes, we really do keep our old Xbox specifically so we can play the original Peggle.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I play that a lot. Are you on PC or console?
PC. Though I'm going to have to start over here shortly. My husband is in the process of building me a gaming rig (for my birthday). So I have to get another copy of the game and my own steam account since I'd been briefly using his. Anyway, yeah. It's a pretty awesome game.

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Since Netflix recently adapted The Witcher into a pretty great show, I started re-playing the only good version of the video game (in my opinion, that is) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (on my PS4) with all the available DLC and I must say that it holds up pretty well after all these years.
Same here. Started a NG+ for the first time. Taking a slightly different route with the choices this time around as well.

Yora

Maester
I am now playing Baldur's Gate 2. I think I've not really played this one in a very long time. And even the last time I played it, it didn't play it very far. I don't think I really spend much time with this game in well over 15 years, and I am actually running in some minor things I didn't know are in the game and have to work out the solution to some puzzles again. And that's still in the early parts of the game that I played several times back in the day. The later parts I am much less familiar with. Really looking forward to see how those will play like.

While the first game had a very generic standard medieval style overall, the second game has a slightly more exotic style with influences from the Planescape setting. It feels a bit like a mild version of the fantastic and alien style of Dune and Morrowind that I love so much, and playing constantly makes me want to stop and work on cool new ideas for my writing.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
PC. Though I'm going to have to start over here shortly. My husband is in the process of building me a gaming rig (for my birthday). So I have to get another copy of the game and my own steam account since I'd been briefly using his. Anyway, yeah. It's a pretty awesome game.

Sweet. I'm easy enough to find (Steerpike7). My main character is also a werewolf, which has been fun!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
When I'm not obsessively working it's World of Warcraft, as usual. Also playing a lot of Fable on Xbox One (backwards compatible, I have all three consoles). Also Star Wars the Old Republic and a little Mass Effect.

Getting an idea why I'm a slow writer. lol

Momtoast

Dreamer
I love Tabletop RPGs. Right now we are playing MASKS, a teenage superhero RPG using the pbta system. It's a blast. The drama rivals CW superhero shows, and it's effortless to get it to be so much fun.