• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to capture a dragon ?

Dragons Forever

I think you can draw inspiration from Eastern legends since there are so many about dragons.

For instance one that I remember is that of Orochi: this dragon was causing terror in Japan until one day, a samurai had the idea to pour sake into the pond the dragon was used to drink from. He was then able to slay the dragon who was considerably weakened by his involuntary drunkenness :dead:...

Check out Wiki (Yamata no Orochi - Wikipedia) or this blog post (7 Most Famous Japanese Dragons) for more info.

Quick clarifying question: is this a modern day dragon capturing/killing or is it something, (blackpowder, medieval, bronze age, etc).
Also how magic is your dragon? Are they like super powerful as hinted at in the Dresden files and elsewhere or are they just big flying fire breathing lizards. Because your options range from black arrows to needing a nuclear bomb to waste one of them.

Alex Reiden

Minstrel
Why capture when you can charm? Any wizard worth his salt will tell you how music enchants even the savage beast.

lzLzVHl.jpg

Kill? Look no further...

EOotjRg.jpg

It's probably been done before, but what about an ambiguous old prophecy whose elements are suddenly, and unexpectedly, and very conveniently in play for the dragon killer/capturer.

Eg, Macbeth will not be slain until Burnham wood cometh to Dunsinane...

The Witchking of Angmar can not be slain by any man...

Why do you need to kill or capture a dragon? Is the story about ending the dragon's reign of terror? Or, is the capture/kill a quest needed to be fullfilled before moving on with the story?

As the dragon can shapeshift into human form, I'd say it can speak and is sapient. I would have the characters figure out a way to get the dragon agree to an alliance, even if it is an uneasy one. Anyone can kill or capture a dragon. It takes real courage and wit to ally to strike a bargain.

I know that I read of a real medieval myth where you would burn animal bones to scare away dragons. They can't stand the smoke. This is, occording to this particular text at least, where the word bonfire originates (bone fire). By that logic you could use the smoke from burning bones to push the dragon into some sort of trap or ambush, or as a distraction.

Personally, I love weird, foklorish trivia like that and think it's really cool to use, but it does give a rather different flavour than the modern, glossy fantasy dragon.