• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Books for Market Research Purposes

Okay all, I had this idea while thinking about how I would fix the Star Wars prequels. Make the story be about Obi-wan.

Or, to put it more broadly, I want to write an epic fantasy novel that follows the Chosen One's lancer/rival. Then I thought, what if I added to the drama and made the lancer/rival be the mentor. Then, I thought to myself, why not couple that with a bit of Tai Lung from Kung Fu Panda/Neville Longbottom and make him be a potential but spurned chosen one. Are you aware of any fantasy novels that have any of the following elements:

1) Novel that follows the lancer/rival

2) Novel that follows the Chosen One's Mentor

3) Novel that follows the potential/spurned Chosen One

4) Any combination of the same.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This reminds me a little of Devor 's trope reboot articles, which I really enjoyed. I think it's a good idea.

I don't have a suggestion for something that fits your criteria, but I've got something in a similar vein.

I'm sure you're familiar with the fairy tale concept of the hero who goes and slays the monster in order to win the heart of the fair maiden (or something like that). My novella Emma's Story is told from the point of view of that maiden.
Fair warning though, it's not what I set out to do when I wrote the story, and the story isn't about how she's the fair maiden waiting on the hero to kill the monster. It's there though, and you'll see it if you know to look for it.

So what's the point of bringing this up - apart from mentioning my own story? In fairness, I wasn't sure when I started, but now that I think about it...

When the story is about someone other than the hero, then that character becomes the hero, and it changes the story. The sidekick is no longer just a sidekick - they're the supporting pillar that greatness leans up on it its time of need, or something like that.

Emma is never really portrayed as a fair maiden, and she doesn't go around doing fair-maiden-y things, but if you shift the focus of the story to be about the "hero" then her role in the story is that of the woman who's heart needs to be won.

Hmmm, the only story I can think of at the moment that comes close to this is the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. It's a meaty low-fantasy series (12 books in the main series that's finished and he's currently putting out a prequel series called Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years).

Will isn't exactly a Chosen One, nor really a spurned one, but it does have an excellent plot for him, his rival-become-best-friend Horace (possessor of my favorite arc in the series,) and it also follows Will's mentor Halt (Book 9, Halt's Peril is a fantastic read). It covers quite a bit of what you're looking for and I'm always happy to recommend this series :D

As for something closer to a spurned Chosen One, what I can think of that comes kind of close is an "evil" Chosen One in the form of the character Griffith from Berserk. Definitely an interesting character arc and quite the challenge when your ultimate opponent ends up having fate backing him up - because how do you stop someone surely destined to fulfill the fate they're attached to?

You can go very far with ideas like that and I'm excited to see how your epic fantasy novel turns out!

Best of luck!