• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

blog Writing Groups Part 2

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Caged Maiden submitted a new blog post:

Writing Groups Part 2
by A. Howitt

writing-groups-2.jpg

In my previous article on writing groups (which you can read here), I talked about some popular ways writers connect. From online forums like the Mythic Scribes writing forums to community workshops, there’s no shortage of ways writers find each other, and just as many reasons they’re out there searching in the first place. In this follow-up article I’d like to explore some ways to start a writing group, and to keep a good group running by avoiding common pitfalls that lead to trouble.

What’s the Point?

Whether you’ve been searching for an established group and have had zero luck finding the right one, or you’re trying to start a specific group to fill a niche, the first thing to consider when starting a group is the scope—what you’re hoping to get from it. Writing solo can work for years, until one day…it just doesn’t, and it helps to know what you’re looking for in a writers’ group. Motivation, accountability, advice, feedback, critique, support—you name it, there’s a group for it, or at least other folks looking for the same thing.

Are you searching for a relaxed place for people to share their journey as writers? Are you hoping for some mentoring? Looking for intense and useful critique? Interested in collaborating with other published...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Good treatment of a complex and difficult topic. This is one of those articles that's good the first time round and will be worth returning to, whether I'm joining or starting a group.

Thanks!

Speranza

Dreamer
Great article(s) on writing groups with very practical and useful information. I have run an online writing group for expat writers for the past 10 years. We still have a few founding members and keep our numbers fairly small to encourage contribution and allow trust to build. A few members have met face to face, but some never and the friendship and support is amazing. It can be frustrating at times to manage but as I did that in a past life, I use the skills and experience to try and keep things moving smoothly. Respect, as you say is key and we have guidelines for providing feedback. We have folk from all over the world, many of whom can't (or don't want to) access more traditional writing groups. Our members writing in the whole spectrum of genres and markets, so a good rich background to call on.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I definitely agree with the benefits of starting a writers' group. I've started two, and one of them (a fantasy/sci-fi group) is still going strong after 5 years. We meet locally to critique, drink beers, and talk. Not all at the same time.