• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Speranza

Dreamer
I'm reading Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicles Book 1) by Jay Kristoff. I did start it last year, but had a hissy fit with his use of footnotes. I picked it up again, have ignored the footnotes and am really enjoying the story and the characters, particularly Mia the main character. Have you ever seen footnotes in fiction before? I'm used to them in Academic and some non fiction but never in fiction, it takes me away from the story, which is not a good thing, not in my book (pardon the pun) anyway.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Reading Nevil Shute again. This time it's An Old Captivity. It's not fantasy but I suppose modern book shelvers might say it has an element of magical realism. Shute is easily the most unusual author I've ever read. His books are memorable, each one quite different from the other, and each one hard to describe what makes it so extraordinary. Also, curiously, each one I've read so far would make a good movie.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
With biographies it's more subtle than merely are the facts right. A biography is like a portrait. By it's nature it cannot be a perfect likeness, yet it can be more revealing than a photograph. The best way to get into biographies is the same as getting into other genre of literature: read, and develop your own taste.

This one has turned out to be good. There is limited information on Cleopatra, so educated speculation is of course woven in, and the author takes a definite pro-Cleopatra viewpoint, but on the whole it is entertaining and informative.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Reading Nevil Shute again. This time it's An Old Captivity. It's not fantasy but I suppose modern book shelvers might say it has an element of magical realism. Shute is easily the most unusual author I've ever read. His books are memorable, each one quite different from the other, and each one hard to describe what makes it so extraordinary. Also, curiously, each one I've read so far would make a good movie.
I had forgotten Nevil Shute. My father was a fan so they were always around the house. And I don't think you are alone in thinking they make good films. Much of his work has been adapted for TV or Film and sometimes both and more than once. I will look out for him again.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
On the Beach is the one everyone knows, but I would hesitate to recommend it as a Shute first novel. It is the bleakest thing I've ever read.

Very different is A Town Called Alice, which is almost like two separate books, except that it follows the main character in both parts.

But my introduction to Shute was Pied Piper. I recommend it, if you're looking to return to the author. As with every book of his I've read, it's such an odd choice of story and perspective, yet such a gratifying one.

Black Cat

Acolyte
I've been re-reading Dresden Files in anticipation of Peace Talks' final release. I'm on Proven Guilty and it's been interesting. Butcher does the technical aspects of writing well - he can spin a yarn, his dialogue usually pops and his descriptions are colorful - but it feels like he's trying to write two different genres simultaneously. Not an impossible task by any means, but sometimes it gives me whiplash.

For example, he tries to write Molly at the end in a humorous way despite her at least nominally feeling guilty about the brainwashing she's done, an act of black magic that she was going to be executed for until a combination of Harry and literal divine intervention saved her. This is on top of the usual beating Harry takes over the course of the book. Then she complains about... having to do wizard homework... maybe Butcher just wanted to end it on a lighter note? It wouldn't be the first time a competent author dropped the ball that way, it just bugs me.

Or maybe I'm just forgetting something that contextualizes it later. Either way, it's still been an enjoyable ride so far (y)

AMObst

Dreamer
I've just finished book 7 of the Professor Croft series by Brad Magnarella, which is a great urban fantasy series set in New York, and I highly recommend for its tense plotting and interesting twists as well as good character development. Number 8 is about to be released.
Now I'm starting on Agatha Christie's 'Murder is Easy', which might be the only one of hers I haven't read. The plots can be formulaic but she has an amusing way of describing characters in a less than flattering light.

Gurkhal

Auror
Edging closer to finish Prit Buttar's "Coallision of Empires". After that I'm looking for something of in the form of a novel.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Just finished Ties of Blood and Bone, A.E. Lowan. Now reading The Dubliners by some Irish dude.

kennyc

Inkling
Just read Steinbeck's East of Eden for the first time (after avoiding it forever) ... it was Wonderful! He is such an Amazing Writer. The ending was perfect and included a small fitting surprise at the finale.

Gurkhal

Auror
Going back to a classic. Ordered "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings. I didn't really like it when it first read it but we'll see if I have matured and can get past my own issues with books. It will be interesting to revisit this classic.

Although I am aware that it probably hasn't aged very well in many aspects. Still a classic that everyone should have read.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Ben-Hur, which I hadn't read since I was a teen. Despite being extraordinarily long-winded, it's any easy read. But so much relies on unlikely coincidences!

Haven't read that in forever. I am currently reading The Unspoken Name. Which involves a very rare thing for fantasy. An orc heroine, of sorts. Well, Assassin and bruiser among other things and quite well learned. Been quite good so far.